Budgets $1 Difference (Q Mac)

Options
Jim38@
Jim38@ Member ✭✭✭

Quicken for Mac (Deluxe, V 7.2.1), macOS 13.5.1.

Budgeted Expenses (as of today, 1-Month, August'23): $17,700.
If I manually add up all the categories myself, I calculate: $17,700.
The budget for Quicken on the Web and for the Quicken iOS app, however, show the expense total as $17,701.

Oddly, each category total within the budget matches between Quicken desktop, Quicken on the Web, and Quicken iOS app. Quicken on the Web and the Quicken iOS app are adding in another dollar. Why?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I don't use the Quicken mobile (app or web) versions, but I'm wondering if for budgets, they just use integer values rather than dollars and cents. Then there would be rounding which would account for periodic differences of a dollar or two.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jim38@
    Jim38@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

. . . but wouldn’t the Budget on the desktop version round the same way as the budget in Quicken Web & iOS Quicken?

• jacobs
    Options

Not necessarily. 😉 Quicken Mac budgets use cents, and has a setting to hide cents. I don't use the mobile app, so I don't know if it tracks the full decimal values or if it rounds all the time.

• ddochter
    ddochter Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue with budgets on a PC platform.

All the integers add up to total a $1 difference in any given month. All categories have a BALANCE of "0" but the total for ACTUALS is $1 higher than the BUDGET amount. This forces me to increase the BUDGET amount for one of the Categories to be $1 larger to force Quicken to set the status bar to green.

For example

Am I the only one using BUDGETS in this product? There are other odd thinks occurring that I am seeing as well (stay tuned to this forum for those to be reported).

• ddochter
    ddochter Member ✭✭
    Options

I should have said: "Am I the only one using BUDGETS in this product (besides Jim that is)? "

Also, I have been using Quicken for over two decades …. although this forum rates me as a "Newbie". Hardly …..

• jacobs
    Options

My question is why a $1 difference in a budget matter to anyone? I'm a detail-oriented person who has hunted for small discrepancies in business finances for many years, but in Quicken for a personal budget, wh does a 1 difference between budget and actual matter? the budget is to give you an idea of how your actual income and spending fares against your projections; where does a $1 rounding difference impact you?

• Jim38@
    Jim38@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Seriously? Because it’s the same budget, just in difference places. Same numbers. Same transactions feeding it. There shouldn’t be any differences.

This discussion has been closed.