Mobile Deposit under Check #

russlipkin
russlipkin Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I added MobileDeposit under the Check # to the list. However, when I add the amount within the Payment/Deposit, it defaults to Payment and NOT Deposit. Is there a preference setting to automatically assign it to Deposit?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about a manual entered transaction?

The Check # field is purely informational, with the exception that if it is in fact a check number Quicken will try to use it for matching a downloaded transactions that has the check # in it.

While entering a transaction if the payee is saved as a memorized transaction, then it will use that to fill in the rest of the transaction like the category and amount. And the sign of the amount will determine if it is a deposit or a withdraw. Tools → Memorized Payee List

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chris_QPW

The Check # field is purely informational, with the exception that if it is in fact a check number Quicken will try to use it for matching a downloaded transactions that has the check # in it.

Not quite. Other built-in fields have effects.

• Next Check Num tries (and sometimes fails) to insert the correct next check number.
    • Deposit causes TAB to skip over the Payment field and land in the Deposit field.
    • Transfer restricts the transaction category to be another account.

I think that's all. User defined fields have no such effects and cannot be made to have them.

@russlipkin You can use the built-in Deposit (which appears as DEP) to get the effect you want. Maybe put "mobile" in the memo or notes.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks, @Rocket J Squirrel I knew that, but just slipped my mind. 😉

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I think some of us old-timers have forgotten more about QWin that most people ever learned. 😏

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• russlipkin

I suppose it would be nice to adjust that in preferences. It's certainly frustrating to accidentally add my deposits as withdrawals because that's the default. To me, it makes a difference IDing whether something was physically deposited (DEP) vs a Mobile Deposit, so I'd like to see that in a future update, to jump directly to the Deposit column.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

Use a distinct Payee Name for this transaction and record it correctly. Memorize it.
    From now on, when you manually record a new transaction and select that particular Payee Name from the popup selection list, you will get a transaction with a correct deposit amount.

Using Register Column Amount together with Charge and Payment Columns?

Does your account register show the Amount column together with Charge and Payment (or Payment and Deposit) columns? Is your register looking a little crowded with all these columns?
    Depending on your personal preference you should use
    • either the traditional pair of Charge and Payment columns together
    • or the newer Amount column alone (where you have to enter negative amounts
    with a Minus sign and positive amounts with a plus sign)

but you really don't need all three of them.
    Please decide which column(s) to use and remove the other one(s) from the view.

Q Windows: To add / delete columns in your register click the Register Columns gear icon located
    next to the Balance column header.
    Q Mac: there's a Columns button at the bottom right of the register view

• russlipkin

Memorizing the payee seemed to help solve the issue. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.