Quicken is unable to update your account because unexpected information was received......

Options

Tried to pay a bill 2 days ago and received the above message. This is an account (bank) I have used for years, to pay a water bill that I have paid for years, using a password I have had for years. Nothing has changed. Tried to connect again yesterday and today with the same error message. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's the bank's name? Any chance they have changed downloading methods?

• DonJames
    DonJames Member ✭✭
    Options

UMB (United Missouri Bank) Could call them, maybe the issue is on there end, not Quicken end.

• DonJames
    DonJames Member ✭✭
    Options

Just tried OneStepUpdate again (8/30) Got a different error message. Something about a disk write error. Suggested I go to Control Panel/Network & Sharing/Internet Options/Browsing History/Delete. Did that, tried OneStepUpdate again and it worked like it should.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That sounds to me as if your disk drive had run out of space. You may want to look into that.

Please verify this:

• In Windows Control Panel / System / Advanced System Settings / Environment Variables ensure that both the TEMP and TMP variables point to a valid and existing folder,
      typically C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Local\Temp
      If they point to an incorrect or non-existent folder or drive change both variables to an existing folder on C:\ (or create one) e.g., C:\Temp, and reboot Windows.
    • If the Temp folder is located on a too-small SSD C: - drive and you have an internal standard hard disk, too, move the Temp folder to the internal hard disk and change the TEMP and TMP variables
    • If the folder exists … does your Windows User Account have proper access rights to this folder?
    • If Quicken cannot create and use temporary files, all sorts of malfunctions will occur.
    • If the Temp folder is full of junk, clean it out. Regularly delete all files and subfolders within the Temp folder structure that Windows allows you to delete. You may have to skip a few that are actively in use.

Make sure that files in the Temp folder are NOT accessed by cloud backup software at all.

Run CHKDSK C: /r on your C: - drive (or perform Error Checking from Windows File Explorer, Properties, Tools tab).

• DonJames
    DonJames Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response. Checked the TEMP and TMP and they seem OK. Have 278GB free space so I don't think thats an issue. Do not use any cloud backup. Have not had an issue since I deleted the browser history per the Q suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.