When I open Quicken It won't open my current FIle

dbm1983
dbm1983 Member ✭✭

I click on the icon and the application opens and prompts me for the password. I enter the password then the menus disappear and after about 5 secs it closes and a window titled "Quicken Crash Report" opens and says "Quicken unexpectedly quit the last time it was run." It asks me to send an error report. This happens every time I open Quicken. I have to go to file and click on the data file and then it opens fine. Occasionally another window which looks like it is from Microsoft opens and says,

"Get an app to open this 'res' link

Your PC doesn't have an app that can open this link. Try looking for a compatible app in the Microsoft Store"

This started with the updates in June/July. I am running Windows 11 Home Version 22H2

Comments

• Hello @dbm1983,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you haven't done so already, I recommend following the steps in this article on Quicken crashing or refusing to open.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you searched your entire C: - drive for files with a file type of .res? (There will be many .resx files which you can ignore)
    Are there any within a folder related to Quicken?
    If so, what is the folder name and file name, creation and last modification date?
    And, opening the file with Notepad, what are its contents? Something readable or gibberish?

The error message you posted indicates that something, either within Quicken or as part of the shortcut icon you use to start Quicken, is trying to open a file with a file type of "res", but there is no program installed to process this file.

This discussion has been closed.