Quicken Bill Manager - Setup & Usage

Options
Quicken Bree
Quicken Bree Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta

Set up

1. After installing the new build (27.2.62.4) and installing the "QuickenFeatureEnabler," open Quicken and go to the Bills & Income tab.
  2. You should see a green banner that reads, “Enable more reliable Quick Pay payments.”
    a. If not, please ensure you have an active and verified payment account and that you've added at least one biller from the list of supported billers.
  3. Select “Learn more,” which will guide you through several steps to enable the feature.
  4. The first window will show our Terms of Use. To continue, you must consent to these terms.
  5. Next, you may be required to verify your phone number. You'll see that displayed if you’ve previously added a phone number to your Quicken profile. Click “Continue” to begin verification or select "Change" if you prefer to update your phone number.
  6. Once your phone number is confirmed, you’ll be asked to verify your personal information. Don’t worry, Quicken never shares or sells your information. Click on “Submit” after completing the required fields.
  7. If you’ve received the “You’re all set” message, congratulations! You’ve completed the required steps to enable the feature.
    a. If you received any other message, please contact us for next steps.

The next time you make a Quick Pay payment to a supported biller, you’ll be prompted to provide your full biller account number for improved payment reliability.

============================================================

Usage and Testing

After you are set up, you can use Quick Pay as you usually do today.

This beta test relies upon your frequent use of Quick Pay. We kindly request that you make as many Quick Pay payments as you can regularly so that we can thoroughly measure the service improvement. These payments include making regular outstanding bill payments or conducting test transactions as low as $1.

We welcome feedback on the setup process or ongoing payment management throughout the test. Please note, however, that when scheduling Quick Pay payments for this test, please avoid selecting any weekend dates. We are still working on weekend processing.

Thank you!

Quicken Bree

Tagged:

Comments

• fw6322+
    fw6322+ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Set up

1. After installing the new build, open Quicken and go to the Bills & Income tab.

What is the new build version?

• Quicken Abhishek
    Quicken Abhishek Member, Moderator, Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    Options

@fw6322+, the build you'll want to be on is 27.2.62.4.

• Birdman24
    Birdman24 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

My test results showed Quicken got a grade of 25%. I had four eligible accounts (American Express, Barclaycard, Discover Card and Paypal. The only account that I was able to add successfully was Barclaycard. The other three got a dialog box saying "Still Connecting:".

• fw6322+
    edited October 2023
    Options

Xcel Energy new statement was on 8-18-23 and bill manager still does not have the numbers.

This Biller is always slow with the numbers and the statement is available.

Did a 3rd refresh today and the numbers are now available.

Why the delay in Bill Manager delivery time?

Not Matching the past Quick Pay on delivery time!

Realize this should have much improved reliability with it being a ACH process.

9-1-23

Got Email from Xcel Energy and they have a payment scheduled for 9-1-23.

Good News on the arrival time!

Email from Quicken:

September 21, 2023

Scheduled the payment for the September Invoice.

Update: 10-4-23

The October payment to Xcel Energy was paid (2nd payment) on the scheduled date of 10-4-23.

• Quicken Abhishek
    Quicken Abhishek Member, Moderator, Employee, Windows Beta, Mac Beta, Canada Beta Beta
    edited August 2023
    Options

Apologies for the poor first-time account set up, but thanks for the feedback! We'll soon be improving first-time account set up. Thank you, also, for setting up the four accounts.

Could you I ask you to click the update button on the top-right of the Bills & Income tab (not the "fix it" button)? Does that sync your accounts successfully?

• Quicken Abhishek
    Options

Given our new dependency on the ACH network, we unfortunately needed to factor in the operating hours of ACH. Thefore, we've had to exclude weekend dates from our payment delivery estimations. It's very much still possible that the payment will complete sooner, but the estimated date is the latest that the payment will arrive by. Is any of it confusing or frustrating?

On the whole, it's true that payments should be more reliable, but it'll be a tad bit slower than past Quick Pay times for the supported billers.

• fw6322+
    Options

Hoping ACH process will support Billers using Bank Bill Pay. It would be good to have all Billers paid from Bill Manager.

• Quicken Abhishek
    Options

We are certainly looking to expand the list of supported billers in the near future!

• Birdman24
    Birdman24 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@AbhishekV - As you suggested, I clicked on the Update button and that resolved the issue for the Discover account. However, the American Express now shows a triangle to the left of the account. Clicking on it displays a dialog box stating that account is locked (although it is not as I logged onto the account without issue).

The Paypal account still has the clock icon to the left and clicking on it shows Additional Information Needed.

• Quicken Abhishek
    Options

@Birdman24, I have sent you a direct message to continue troubleshooting.

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

For the newbie… Will we be able to use this data file to go back to the production version of Quicken after the beta? What will happen to the scheduled BETA payments when returning to production version of Quicken?

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.26. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Greg Brown
    Options

Just added Discover online bill. It is showing transaction list instead of statement…

• Greg Brown
    Options

I received the same message for Navy Federal, and TECO.

I got the following message for American Express and Home Depot;

• Greg Brown
    Options

Received the following error attempting to run OSU on all accounts for the first time…

• Greg Brown
    Options

Received the following after running Validate/Repair and Super Validate/Repair following the crash…

• Greg Brown
    Options

TECO is NOT an issue. Connecting to wrong biller…

• Greg Brown
    Options

Quicken crashed when deleting an online biller…TECO. Attached is the BugSplat popup including the Windows event error and the Validation log after starting quicken and validate/repair.

• Greg Brown
    Options

I am having cc-800 issues with the same accounts, even after deleting and re-adding; Barclay Card(2 different accounts), Chime Checking, Discover(2 different accounts), Macy's American Express.

• Greg Brown
    Options

This has been an issue for awhile, but seems to be much more prevelant in this beta. Frqequently when I start quicken the bills/income items are mis-aligned and not responsive(see picture). The action buttons; Fix It, Enter, Quickpay, etc are non-responsive and when I try to click on one it moves way over to the right and doesn't work…

• Greg Brown
    Options

Quicken crashed during online bills update with the following windows event:

BTW No BugSplat popup…

Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.2.62.4, time stamp: 0x64ec2d6a
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22000.2295, time stamp: 0x15934771
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ea469
    Faulting process id: 0x1284
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d9df0fb5d6f85e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 14430001-e3d3-4fd6-86d6-bb66655f0c2e
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Greg Brown
    Options

I am unable to update bills using the icon in the upper right of the bills/income tab. When I run OSU and bills update as the last step, it works fine…

• Greg Brown
    Options

Quicken crashed again while attempting to delete online biller Bmo Harris Bank.

Windows event:

Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.2.62.4, time stamp: 0x64ec2d6a
    Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.8.9167.0, time stamp: 0x648f6beb
    Exception code: 0xc0000409
    Fault offset: 0x005dedf5
    Faulting process id: 0x0x3CFC
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D9DF21980C49E5
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
    Report Id: 7260598e-11c5-4f22-9d56-3b94e8e77086
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Greg Brown
    Options

I resolved the CC-800 issue, at least temporarily by making a copy(template) of my data file, and then reconnecting all 50 or so accounts…

• Greg Brown
    edited September 2023
    Options

Received the following error after scheduling a quickpay for 1.00 for Discover scheduled for 9/6/23

• Greg Brown
    Options

After setting up Barclay Onlie Biller, I see this message but the actual last payment was 1/9/23.

• Greg Brown
    Options

Am I posting these Quickpay Beta issue in the right place? I haven't seen any other postings or commments…

• tgrantdavis
    tgrantdavis Windows Beta Beta
    Options

There are three main questions in my mind about using quicken bill pay:

1. Can quicken reliably get my bills paid?
    2. If so, is it easier than the alternatives?
    3. What happens when it fails to pay my bill correctly?

I think that bill pay first requires the Link-To-Biller feature to reliably get the billing information. Two years ago, I tried Link-To-Biller. It seemed like it would save effort and errors by updating my reminders automatically. That, in turn, would keep up the projections of my checking account balance. Good promises. I tried it. There were many problems, so I gave up. Last year, I tried again for several months. My final conclusion was that "Link To Biller feature is overall difficult to understand, error prone, buggy, and time consuming. It should be reworked into a simpler, sustainable interface."

Projecting my cash balance is essential for me in retirement. As bills get paid, the balance drops, and I need to transfer enough money into the account to avoid overdraft. The consequence of some errors are additional charges from my bank and from billers. I came very close to overdraft because of bugs in quicken. One time, I had to rush to the bank and deposit all of the cash from my wallet to cover a bill.

The alternatives to quicken bill pay are either to have creditors pull funds from my checking, or to have my bank push payments. Setting up auto-pay with my many billers has been fairly easy and extremely reliable. If they make a mistake, they are not going to charge me a fee for it. My bank has an easy and extremely reliable system for paying bills. I just need to set proper dates and amounts.

I decided that "manual link" to billers is easier and more reliable than letting quicken do it.

If you are going to work on bill pay, please clean up Link-To-Biller first.

===============================================================================
    Here are some of the specific problems I had with Link-To-Biller:

1. I cataloged eleven specific cases where bill reminders for credit cards and utilities were wrong or missing. Many indicated "Awaiting Next Bill" in the BILLS & INCOME page.
    2. Previous bills are not recognized during some time period before they are paid. So, the payment is not scheduled for the correct date and amount (amounts are zero). This may only occur when the bill link is first set up, but it distorts the spending projections.
    3. Refresh Bill does not always reference the latest bill. PG&E reverted to the Dec bill, then a repeat updated to the Jan bill.
    4. Bill cannot be changed, not visible in bill list. I linked Fidelity Rewards to the bill on the same day it was due. Quicken cannot get the current bill amount. The entry is not in the bill list, so I cannot unlink, edit, or delete it. The Home graph shows it, however, with the current account balance (much larger than the current bill). The bill shows in the Bills and Income page when sorted by biller name. It indicates "Awaiting next bill". There is no way to edit or delete it. Workaround: go to Home > Calendar > click on day for previous linked payment > Edit - can unlink and set the day to the next payment.
    5. "Needs Attention" and "Awaiting Next BILL" are indicated in the "Bills & Income" page, but not shown on the home page. This presents risks of inaccurate reminders and projections of account balance on the Home page. It is hard to know and work around the billing errors.
    6. Duplicate entries are created. It seems that one is created first by a reminder entry, and the second by the biller, and linking does not merge them. Then it gets confused about where to apply the payment. It seems that the biller needs to be entered first (with no reminder), then a new reminder added from the biller linking popup.
    7. Graphic corruption on the BILLS & INCOME page makes it hard to enter and check bill reminders. Many actions including opening popups and mouse over buttons cause gross screen distortion.
    8. Adding and deleting billers is obscure. The controls in the BILLS & INCOME tab disappear (part of the flaky graphics on this page. There is a "+" for add. Delete requires going into the gear icon to Manage Online Billers (later it seems to have moved to the "Enter" pull-down).
    9. Linked reminders are not clearly indicated in the list. Have go down into the reminder or account info to see an indicator.
    10. There were difficulties getting transactions to match with the reminders. I tried re-entering the transactions with the exact payer, date, and amount, but some still would not. The result is that the projected checking balance includes double charges.

• Greg Brown
    Options

Second attempt to make Discover QuickPay, scheduled 5.00 on 9/12/23. Error.

• Stephen Blendermann
    Options

Terms of Use dialog never loads (constantly spinning circle). Can't test if I can't agree to the terms.

Steve

• Randy 415
    Randy 415 Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I agree with @Greg Brown . I have a lot of similar errors and problems with the "Bills and Income", Quick Pay, but without the crashes. Probably because I am working with a NEW file with less than 10 billers.

I also agree with @tgrantdavis . I have had many of the same problems, although my list is probably twice the size of that.

This discussion has been closed.