Budget Issues That Need to be Fixed!!!

Options
mbcarter74
mbcarter74 Member ✭✭

I am experiencing similar issues to a few recent posts. Apparently this was a known issue as of at least August 6th, if not earlier, and doesn't seem to have been addressed.

I am dealing with:

1. Categories being included in my budget that I did not ask to include. When I go to "Manage Budget Categories" the categories are unchecked, but still show up when I PRINT or EXPORT to Excel. They do not show up if I view the Report in Quicken.
  2. One category is overriding my desired budget amount and setting the monthly budget to what was actually spent.

Spending hours crafting a budget and having the software fail is frustrating. Seems like this should have been fixed at some point over the past 3 weeks.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

More details, please.
    What version, edition level (Starter, Deluxe, etc.) and release (R xx.xx) of Quicken are you using?
    US, Canadian or other country version?

Please provide a few category names as examples of what gets included when it shouldn't be.
    Are there transactions using these categories during the report's time frame? Please note that the report generator's selection is independent of the Budget view's "Manage Budget Categories".

Please name the category in your question 2.

If necessary, add image snapshots showing the issue with your next comment.

• mbcarter74
    mbcarter74 Member ✭✭
    Options

Premier R51.12 Build 27.1.51.12 US Version

Before naming categories that are involved, I did include every category in my budget, so yes, there are transactions during report time frame for those categories, along with others that didn't erroneously appear in my budget. Two examples are Auto:Fuel:Mike and Auto:Fuel:Kristen

I have a category called Auto:Service:Edge Non-Routine Car Service. I budgeted $165 per month. I have spent ~$10k in this category over rolling 12 months and want to limit how much more I spend. In each of the rolling 12 months the budget is set to whatever I spent during that month.

• mbcarter74
    mbcarter74 Member ✭✭
    Options

Before naming categories that are involved, I did NOT include every category in my budget, 

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for responding.
    Budgets are based on Calendar Years (optionally Fiscal Years, for companies needing a specific starting month).
    When extending a budget to a new year within the same named budget table, note the Copy options

Usually, for categories with Rollover enabled, the December Rollover amount will carry into January.

When enabled, Scheduled future Reminders will show in future months as if the reminder was a real expense or income already.

there are transactions during report time frame for those categories, along with others that didn't erroneously appear in my budget. Two examples are Auto:Fuel:Mike and Auto:Fuel:Kristen

I'm a little confused. If there are transactions with these categories, they should appear in the Report Generator unless specifically excluded during report customization. However, if you're reusing a Saved Report and these categories are new, they may not automatically be added to the saved report.

I have a category called Auto:Service:Edge Non-Routine Car Service. I budgeted $165 per month. I have spent …

It would be nice to see an image snapshot of what you have defined in the Budget view for each month for this category. Point out what's correct and what's not.

• mbcarter74
    mbcarter74 Member ✭✭
    Options

The above shows my desired monthly budget of $165

The below shows the budget matching what I spent

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks again for the images.
    If you switch the Budgets view from "Graph View" to "Annual View" (and select "Details" mode to see all columns), you might be able to spot what's going on. From the Graph view I can't see the monthly budget amounts and how much, if anything, was rolled into January Balance from December. Only the Annual View will show how much of your planned budget is rolling over from month to month.

P.S.: The Snipping Tool in Windows is a real good program to capture partial screen images to files which can then be pasted or copied into Community discussions.

• RichardCSchreyer
    RichardCSchreyer Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check to see if you are including categories you don't want in the customization of the report, default is to include ALL categories

• mbcarter74
    mbcarter74 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that, although that wasn't the issue. I have been a daily user of Q for 25 years, so I generally can figure out if it is my issue or not…this is not.

This discussion has been closed.