What happened to automatic downloads

Options
Firvo
Firvo Member ✭✭

I have been a Quicken user for over 30 years and about a month ago, for the first time in those 30 years, transaction downloads via QFX files no longer automatically get added to registers as potential new transactions in a dialog box with the option to accept into the register. Now the file is dropped into my download directory in Windows but is not processed by Quicken and I must go to it and import it into Quicken manually. My "Automatically add to banking registers" is checked. Support suggested I uncheck that to solve my problem. But my problem is I want the transactions to automatically load just as they have for the previous 30 some odd years. I only use one step update to update security prices, I prefer not to use 3rd parties for password storage given the ever present hacking risk. Has something in the application changed? Am I alone in missing this functionality?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you using Firefox as your browser?
    If so, to make Firefox open Quicken when download is complete, you need to go into Firefox Tools / Settings / General.
    Scroll down the page to Applications.
    Sort the list of supported file types by Content Type and scroll down to "Quicken OFX data" and set the Action to "Use Quicken Windows"
    If you can't find this file type go to just past the bottom of the list of file types. Change "What should Firefox do with other files?" to "Ask ...". You'll get a prompt next time you download a QFX file.

Similar instructions apply if you use different browsers and/or your Windows Settings for Default File Types.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are you using Firefox as your browser?
    If so, to make Firefox open Quicken when download is complete, you need to go into Firefox Tools / Settings / General.
    Scroll down the page to Applications.
    Sort the list of supported file types by Content Type and scroll down to "Quicken OFX data" and set the Action to "Use Quicken Windows"
    If you can't find this file type go to just past the bottom of the list of file types. Change "What should Firefox do with other files?" to "Ask ...". You'll get a prompt next time you download a QFX file.

Similar instructions apply if you use different browsers and/or your Windows Settings for Default File Types.

• Firvo
    Firvo Member ✭✭
    Options

Not Firefox but Chrome. Good lead though - probable cause. Thanks.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the response.
    Just in case somebody else trips over the same problem, please do let us know what you had to change in your system to make it work properly.

• Firvo
    Firvo Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok here goes. In Chrome, somehow the action for QFX files was reset so that no action would always be performed on the downloaded file. Compounding the problem, I had found the preference setting for downloaded files in Quicken and at some point checked the automatic processing of downloads into the register thinking that had somehow become unchecked and was causing my issue. So Quicken support was half right. But UKR was the most right in that the problem ultimately was that the download action in Chrome had somehow reverted to no action. The solution in Chrome is very similar to that in Firefox. When you download a qfx file and it shows in the small window indicating a download has occurred, right click and check the option to always open the transaction file and Quicken will do so. By checking the preference setting "automatically move the downloaded transactions into registers", I had erroneously lost the downloaded transaction dialog window which allows you to accept or not the transactions before they are moved to the register. Thanks again.

• Caden
    Caden Member
    Options

I am having this same issue and using Chrome. Was anyone successful in resetting the option? If so, can someone give me instructions on how they did this? I am a newbie and can't seem to find the option in Chrome.

Thank you.

• Firvo
    Firvo Member ✭✭
    Options

To clarify a bit when you download a QFX file, Chrome should give you a notification window that a file with filename and extension QFX has been downloaded. It used to appear at the bottom of my screen but now it shows up on the top right just under the tab bar. It is only a box that is the height of a line of text. It will disappear if you do something else on the screen so before it does, move your cursor to that box and right click. That will bring up a drop down menu in which you can left click on the option to always open this file type.

This discussion has been closed.