Duplicate Accounts (Q Mac)

Options
F3KMom
F3KMom Member ✭✭

I see there's a known issue - would that explain why my brokerage accounts just duplicated themselves (with a $0 balance)?

Best Answer

Answers

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue.

• Marc
    Marc Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue. Do you delete the duplicate accounts? I hadn't thought they might return, but now one of the accounts had just multiplied again.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not having any issues. Are you syncing to Mobile and Web?

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

Yep. If you delete them, they just come back next sync.

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I am synching to both. And have been for a long time - I've been using Quicken since 2018, so this is a "new" issue for sure.

• F3KMom
    F3KMom Member ✭✭
    Options

I was nervous about deleting them in the off chance the real ones disappeared too?

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried deleting them and they had no impact on the "correct" accounts. But they just came back the next sync so it really doesn't matter whether you delete them or not. :(

• EvanSquared
    EvanSquared Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here; it cropped up last Thursday or Friday (August 31st or September 1st). Two of my accounts now have a single duplicate with no transactions and an additional account has two duplicates, both with no transactions. I tried the instructions at https://www.quicken.com/support/duplicate-transactions-or-accounts-downloaded-quicken-mac , where they have you mark the duplicates as non-syncing, but because the list of accounts they display only lists their names, there's no way to identify which account is legitimate, with actual transactions, and which is a duplicate with no transactions.

Came here to see if others are having the same problem; glad I'm not alone, but disappointed that this issue doesn't seem to have been fixed or even acknowledged by Quicken staff. I'll try contacting Support and see if they have a fix.

• EvanSquared
    EvanSquared Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got off the phone with customer support, who seem to be aware of the issue (although I haven't found any notice on the Quicken web site about it, other than this thread). They had me turn off and on syncing, and sync a few times. Each time new duplicate accounts magically appeared. Eventually they said they don't have a solution yet, but hope to have one within a few days, and will (likely) contact me when they do.

One thing they asked is what version of MacOS I'm using, which might have something to do with it. I'm still on MacOS 11, Big Sur; other folks having this problem might want to chime in and add that bit of information, in case it's a problem with later (but still supposedly supported) versions of MacOS.

• Richard Smith
    Options

The same problem originating around Sept. 1. Mine is with Wells Fargo Advisors. OS: Ventura 13.5.1. For the duplicated accounts that do show transactions, there are no posted transactions after 8/31/23.

• warrenswil
    warrenswil Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having exactly the same issue … One Schwab account won't update, keeps duplicating with 0 transactions. Second account is just fine. Quicken support has been totally useless. I even contacted them on Twitter @QuickenCare —- just awful! Mac OS Big Sur 11

Quicken is useless until they send a patch!

• EvanSquared
    EvanSquared Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just to consolidate things, there seem to be at least 3 threads here discussing the account duplication bug. Quicken's official response to it is at:

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

Two things of note, in case it's helpful for troubleshooting purposes.

One of the accounts that is being duplicated is a manual account, in the "Retirement" section, that I use as a tracking account for employee stock shares. It does not download transactions of any kind - everything is manually entered on my part.

When using functions like Projected Balances, where you can screen which accounts are shown from a dropdown, the duplicate accounts do not show up there at all - just the original/correct accounts with actual transactions and history.

Hopefully that helps in some way.

• kjrnmr
    kjrnmr Member ✭✭
    Options

This is the sync error that I have been seeing for the last 10 days approximately. This is impacting my Vanguard Accounts, 529 Accounts, and a 401(k) account that has not been active for over 2 years. I have closed the duplicate accounts, and moved to keep separate. The error continues but I am not happy with this level of performance.

• becmgs1
    becmgs1 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Having the same issue [Removed - Rant/Language]

• EvanSquared
    EvanSquared Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Today, when I booted up Quicken, it updated to v. 7.2.3. The release notes mentioned a fix for duplicate accounts (I don't have the exact wording, it's not up on the web site yet), but sadly when I updated and then synced I continued to get a notice about syncing with the Quicken servers.

Ironically, both my local Quicken account and the online "Quicken On The Web" account don't actually have duplicate accounts. However - and this may be a symptom of what's going on - the accounts that previously were spontaneously duplicating whenever I synced are now showing $0 balances and no history of transactions on the web version, but have correct balances and a history of transactions locally. Which makes me leery of syncing, for fear of accidentally wiping years of transaction history. I'll definitely be vigilant about keeping backups.

• leeatmg
    leeatmg Member ✭✭
    Options

This update does appear to have fixed the problem for me. No more errors and the duplicate accounts have disappeared. Thanks!

• EvanSquared
    EvanSquared Member ✭✭
    Options

An update: Friday I finally got a chance to call customer support; since the 9/20 update I've no longer had an issue with duplicate accounts showing up, but I was continuing to get Sync Errors any time I synced. After about 45 minutes of futzing around, we finally managed to get my account to sync without errors.

The next day, I opened Quicken and discovered that I was missing the last year-and-a-half of transactions in my Cash account (last transaction listed was Jan 22, 2022). Definitely wish I'd noticed that before signing off with the CS rep the day before. I didn't really have time to figure out how to proceed, so it wasn't until today that I restored from a backup we made before we started trying to fix sync issues. That restored the lost information, but when I tried to sync I received an error message saying "Cloud account not found", telling me that I had to set up a new cloud account.

At that point I contacted Customer Support via chat, and was reassured that that error message will always appear when you restore from backup (something the Help pages about Restore From Backup do not mention at all). Created a new cloud account, and then had to re-authorize the connections with two different financial institutions in order to successfully sync, without error, for the first time in a month.

Moral of the story: don't hang up on Customer Support until you've done a quick look through all your accounts to make sure they seem up-to-date. The CS person who was on the phone with me for 45 minutes was helpful and informative, and seemed to have a good grasp of the situation (although the solution involved a lot of turning syncing off entirely, then re-enabling it for each account individually, which yielded errors for every single account, and then a lot of what seemed like blind futzing around until suddenly everything worked), and I was very happy with the results until the next day when I realized we'd missed the data loss.

This discussion has been closed.