Etrade Brokerage Services Transferred to Morgan Stanley

Options

E*TRADE is now part of Morgan Stanley. They were down this past weekend doing some type of conversion to Morgan Stanley behind the scenes. They are back up now, and everything looks the same on their site, but Quicken is no longer able to sync with error: OL-304-A.

Comments

• rscurlock06
    Options

All I had to do was update the E*TRADE account in Quicken with the new 9 digit account number without the space.

• Atiehd2
    Atiehd2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Before I tried updating the account numbers, I just deleted the accounts in Quicken and tried to re-add them through Quicken E*Trade connect. Now it will not connect with the error "OFX Error: 16503"

• scott_weidenfell
    Options

I don't see anyway on Quicken MAC to change the account numbers? I've tried disconnecting and re-enabling a couple different ways and either I lose all my cost data or I get massively inflated share counts. Must be a eTrade/Morgan Stanley bug that they'll hopefully fix?

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

You should be able to edit Account details and either manually change the account number to the new number or click reset account and it will show you the new account and change the number for you.

• RPQuser
    RPQuser Member
    Options

Faced the same download issue after E*Trade scheduled changes. Have 5 accounts. Resolved initial download issue by changing by each account number, next step was resetting each account thru the online services tab. The first download was successful as interest from E*trade savings was posted as the accounts were closed. This morning the one step update completed with the normal quicken E*trade… green light completion, but the summary page does not list Etrade Financial and I have a new warning under Services updated. " You need to select accounts to export"

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I was perplexed as well, and it sounds like you already did this, but here's what I did and it worked great: Right click on your account in the sidebar (or 2 finger click on touchpad = rt click),

1. Open Account Settings in menu
    2. Choose the Downloads tab
    3. Disconnect Account
    4. Then go back to connect (or reconnect - can't remember the exact description)
    5. In the choices of institutions search for E*Trade in the search field (just spelling it "etrade" works)
    6. You'll get presented with a multitude of E*Trades, but choose the brokerage with the us.etrade.com notation
    7. When you log in it will automatically find your account and present it to you. If it's correct, just reconnect and you're good to go. The system will automatically update your account numbers when it reconnects

As a side note - if you have the companion savings account, it now finally works. Either set it up from scratch or go to settings and when you get to step 6, choose "E*Trade Bank" and it will make that download functional. Mine never worked and I've seen others say the same thing, so not sure how big of a relegation this is to you

• ClayF
    ClayF Member ✭✭
    Options

same, initially I left the space in after copying and pasting - update failed. Removed space, and update worked.

• tagoofy
    tagoofy Member ✭✭
    Options

Glad I found this before doing anything else also getting the OL-304-A.

Just logged into Etrade using browser. At top was a message about the account number changes and a link to view a table of the old to new numbers. All I had to do was edit each of the 3 Etrade accounts in Quicken to update the account numbers to the new numbers (without any spaces). Then a new Update from Quicken connected normally and was able to see all of my accounts again.

Thanks

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    Options

To be clear, the way ClayF and tagoofy are doing it sounds like the Windows version (manually editing account numbers). The way Quicken wants you to do it on Mac is go to edit account settings, "disconnect," then "reconnect," log into the account when presented with the proper E*Trade entity, and the new account numbers will update automatically.

• Slim2
    Slim2 Member ✭✭
    Options

I use Windows and was able to change the account numbers to the new ones given by E-Trade, and everything worked. I did not do this for my "managed account" because unlike the other accounts, Etrade has closed that account, not just given it a new number. They then opened a new Morgan Stanley management account with those assets, yet you don't see any sell or buy transactions in the old or new online accounts online, so I'm hesitant to close my old Quicken managed account & open a new Morgan Stanley (it would not really show what happened). Part of me wants to try just putting the new account number in and try a transaction update, but these new style of managed accounts are different, in that they still show when you go to Etrade, but if you want full access you have to go to the Morgan Stanly site. I'm just not going to change anything for now - this is a chicken & egg scenario…

• Autumns Boy
    Autumns Boy Member ✭✭
    Options

I deactivated the online access to the managed account, then changed the financial institution to Morgan Stanley Wealth Management and reconnected to the new financial institution with the new account information (account number, username and password). It seems to be working and I didn't lose any transaction history in Quicken but I will give it a few days to confirm there aren't any issues.

• blisstar
    blisstar Member ✭✭
    Options

I was receiving OFX Error: 16503 and tried everything (QMAC). Then I tried enabling my VPN on my home network and syncing. it worked. Hope this helps others in their troubleshooting process.

• FlaSheridn
    FlaSheridn Member ✭✭
    Options

When I select the financial institution as Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, I get “We couldn’t get information about Morgan Stanley Wealth Management,” even though I selected it from Quicken’s suggestion. When I had earlier tried various e*Trade options, I either got linkage for only my equity accounts — nothing for my e*Trade bank accounts — or “We couldn’t get information…”

• FlaSheridn
    FlaSheridn Member ✭✭
    Options

Any progress on this? (Sorry for the content-free post, but I don’t want Quicken to close this discussion).

• Joe Klevorn
    Joe Klevorn Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been able to download transactions from Morgan Stanley E*Trade after the conversion during September 2023 with the exception of interest payments on cash balances in the E*Trade accounts. All other transactions are downloading fine but interest payments on outstanding cash balances don't download. Anyone else experience this issue or have any suggestions?

• zvac
    zvac Member
    Options

Interest on my E*TRADE brokerage account cash balance not downloading.

• bklynbass
    bklynbass Member
    Options

I just called Quicken customer support and after a half an hour of trying everything the agent told me there was a known issue connecting Etrade to Quicken on both Mac and Windows and that they were presumably working to fix it. Not sure as to why she didn't just tell me that at the beginning of the call to avoid wasting both our time, but if anybody has had luck updating transactions via Quicken Etrade please let us know.

• RichardMyers
    Options

I got connected and downloading transactions OK after Sept 5. But all Bond & CD Redemptions as well as Interest payments are now posted into Quicken as 'Deposit'. There is no correlation of new Morgan Stanley Security names with old ETrade names, so good luck sorting it out. New CD names downloaded default to institution name only, so got to manually rename if you want Quicken names to resemble ETrade online portfolio. What a friggin mess! Used to take 5 min to reconcile per account, now 30+, and still scratching my head. The ETrade online portfolio still looks pretty much the same as before (i.e., same data is up there), so obviously the fault is with the new Quicken download.

• rjones29
    rjones29 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. When it was E*trade all info was downloaded for CDs to register them with Quickeng, including dates of maturity and yield. It was really easy to manage these assets. Since the Morgan Stanley change, the info doesn't include this information in the proper sequence for Quicken to list it correctly, which is real hassle when you're trying to manage a lot of CDs. For example, the issuing bank's name is all that's registered under the "Securities" category. So if I buy another CD from the same bank, all I get is the bank's name again when it should be listed as a different security. This confuses quicken and both CDs get listed as the same security. Please say that Quicken and the new owners of E*Trade are trying to rectify this.

• rjones29
    rjones29 Member ✭✭
    Options

I've done this but it had no effect on the changed method of downloading CD and bond information from the new Morgan Stanley account numbers I mention above.

• rjones29
    rjones29 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did this the day the account numbers changed, but it had no effect on the changed method of downloading CD and bond information from the new Morgan Stanley account numbers as I mention in a post above.

• SteveH28
    SteveH28 Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem here, with the Interest payments getting downloaded to Quicken as "deposits" instead of "interest". I talked to E*Trade Tech Support again today, and they claim that this is the way it's supposed to work. I'm trying to get this escelated within E*Trade, but I'm not optimistic.

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I had a few issues when the transition from ETrade to Morgan Stanley occurred, and most finally worked themselves with a little help from myself.

However, this bond and CD name issue is something I've yet to tackle. I have a brokerage account with Etrade that holds ten CDs/bonds. When I update this account, Quicken shows me that message that there is a discrepancy between the brokerage's records for the number of shares held and my Quicken records. Quicken tells me that none of the ten bonds/CDs in Quicken have any shares in the brokerage's records, and instead the brokerage has ten bonds/CDs that are not represented in Quicken at all. This is because Morgan Stanley changed the naming convention of the bonds/CDs so Quicken is not seeing how to match the brokerage reported securities to what I've got in Quicken. This is very strange for two reasons, at least. One, the naming convention being sent by Morgan Stanley is junk. It's hard to read, with incomplete information on the securities' maturity dates. Two, I thought there is a unique alpha-numeric identifier for every CD and bond that the brokerages and banks could use when sending data, so that the systems (including Quicken) don't need to rely on a "name". Whenever you go to see a CD/bond and Quicken lets you choose a security from a drop-down list in the "Security Name" field, you can see that alpa-numeric identifier in the left column.

Oh, and a by-product of the CD/bond names from Morgan not matching the old names I've got in Quicken, is that the interest on the securities is downloading as simply "deposit".

This discussion has been closed.