Crash recovery using Quicken Web - help...

Options
paulheth
paulheth Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Using Quicken on the Web

So my main pc had a data failure. I have a backup-up QDF but for complex reason's its older than I would like. It is from Feb 2023 with history back to 1995.

The majority of my quicken files (not investments) are also on quicken web back to 2017 it looks like.

Is there a way to export the quicken web content and somehow merge it in to the feb 2023 backup?

Good news is I only have 15 or so accounts we are talking about. <sarcasm off>

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, but you can't use the web content to recover your Quicken data. It's only a subset of the data in the file on your PC. Have you tried any file recovery programs?

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Did the old PC die and can no longer be started, but the old hard drive may still be OK?
    2. Or did the PC's hard drive fail and won't spin up?
    3. Or is the Windows system installed on the old hard drive inoperable and won't boot, but the remainder of the data files might still be OK?

In the cases 1 and 3, you may be able to recover your Documents, Pictures, etc. files including your current Quicken data file if you take the PC to a local computer repair store and have them (or if you know how to do this yourself) remove the hard drive, install it into an empty USB external hard drive enclosure and try to recover all the data files, copying them to the new PC.

For the future, do be sure to set up your Backup Preferences in Quicken, to create both Automatic and Manual Backups every [1] time you close Quicken.

• paulheth
    paulheth Member ✭✭
    Options

GtG and UKR, thanks for your comments. I have removed the drive which I can access, but the most recent file just isn't there. This is how I have an older file. My back-up is the same older file. I can't explain it, but after hours of searching this is what I am left with.

No way to use the quicken web data? I see it can be exported to csv. Can that then be imported back to the main file? No merge function?

• paulheth
    paulheth Member ✭✭
    Options

So the csv export from the web is very slick. I have all the data I need in 1 file within a few clicks. So now who is the expert around here on CSV to QIF conversion. I have seen posts but most are very dated. It seems Quicken actively tries to break this functionality with new versions. Who has tried this recently?

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • paulheth
    paulheth Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks GtG. Good to know that one is most current. Appreciated.

Any tips?

• paulheth
    paulheth Member ✭✭
    Options

So as an update and thanks for the input. Quicken has become very corporate and not very helpful since I last dealt with support over a decade ago. I was able to get my situation down to have all the missing data in a csv file ready for conversation and import and they flat out refused to help. They basically said I needed to key in all the 3000+ transactions manually.

Disgusting support. I have paid them over $1000 over the years and recommended quicken to dozens of people and now I see what they have become i have some serious reservations.

From Greg's suggestion I was able to use ImportQIF for windows to eventually import all the data. I ended up break it into multiple files by account type (not sure if that was required but made the setup process easier). Chris, the developer is a champion and wouldn't even take a donation for his tool or his time. A very solid individual.

It is ridiculous that quicken doesn't support some type of conversion and was zero help. And before the apologists jump in I am sure their are some lame security / liability reasons, but it still is terrible.

But I guess that is why this forum and guys like Chris have had to step in to fill the gap. Thanks to Chris and everyone who helped me get back to a fully up to date (and now triply back up synced) main quicken file, still with data back to 1995.

This discussion has been closed.