Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card requiring 2FA almost daily

Options
Brad95X
Brad95X Member ✭✭

Wells Fargo Active Cash credit card requiring 2FA almost daily to complete OSU downloads but I am able to login to the WF website without 2FA.

This just started happening about 2 weeks ago.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Solutions?

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Quicken cannot control the prompts for two factor authentication; that is controlled by the financial institution. Have you checked Wells Fargo's website to see if there are any settings you need to select, such as a "remember me" setting? Have you checked your web browser security settings? If the settings are too high, they can block the cookies that let the financial institution recognize you, which can sometimes lead to this issue.

Alternatively, Wells Fargo does support Direct Connect. When connected by Direct Connect, you generally do not get the two factor authentication prompts (due to the connection method). If you wish to switch to Direct Connect, then first, backup your Quicken file. Then, deactivate all of your Wells Fargo accounts. Once the accounts are deactivated, connect them by going to Tools>Add Account. Select Wells Fargo. It should give you an option how to connect.

Select Direct Connect and click the Next button. Follow the prompts. Note: Connecting by Direct Connect does require authorizing through Wells Fargo's website. If you haven't done that authorization, you will get an error message that looks like this:

Follow the directions it provides to authorize through Wells Fargo's website, and you should be able to connect via Direct Connect. When on the Add/Link screen, carefully link your accounts back up to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm seeing this every day for the past week. It's not just the credit cards, AFAIK, as I have all my checking and credit cards under the same login. Website login doesn't prompt for 2FA, but Quicken OSU does. Weird.

• JWin
    JWin Member ✭✭
    Options

Me, too. Very annoying. I'm sure no one wants to babysit their One Step Update as that defeats the purpose of OSU.

• darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Me also. Makes it impossible to schedule automatic updates/downloads. Is anybody at Quicken listening?

• darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭✭
    Options

BTW, the request for AAC only happens on first request to Wells Fargo after I start Quicken. If I leave it running I can make the request and it works without asking for AAC,

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Quicken cannot control the prompts for two factor authentication; that is controlled by the financial institution. Have you checked Wells Fargo's website to see if there are any settings you need to select, such as a "remember me" setting? Have you checked your web browser security settings? If the settings are too high, they can block the cookies that let the financial institution recognize you, which can sometimes lead to this issue.

Alternatively, Wells Fargo does support Direct Connect. When connected by Direct Connect, you generally do not get the two factor authentication prompts (due to the connection method). If you wish to switch to Direct Connect, then first, backup your Quicken file. Then, deactivate all of your Wells Fargo accounts. Once the accounts are deactivated, connect them by going to Tools>Add Account. Select Wells Fargo. It should give you an option how to connect.

Select Direct Connect and click the Next button. Follow the prompts. Note: Connecting by Direct Connect does require authorizing through Wells Fargo's website. If you haven't done that authorization, you will get an error message that looks like this:

Follow the directions it provides to authorize through Wells Fargo's website, and you should be able to connect via Direct Connect. When on the Add/Link screen, carefully link your accounts back up to the correct nicknames in Quicken.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Brad95X
    Brad95X Member ✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Kristina ,

Thank you so much! I just now successfully switched to the Direct Connect method by following your directions above. First I registered with Wells Fargo at the URL that you have outlined in red above. Then I followed the deactivate/add account process and selected the Direct Connect method. Then I did receive the "It's not your fault" error, but just chose the "Try Again" option and it completed the process. Thank you!

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear connecting via Direct Connect has resolved the issue for you.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• AZspartan
    AZspartan Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also having this problem now and it is stopping may daily scheduled updates from completing. This only started happening in the last few weeks after using Quicken with my Wells Fargo accounts for over 20 years without issues.

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭
    Options

Having same issue every time I try to update my accounts. Wells Fargo Active Cash Visa stops One Step Update for code. This just started within the last couple of weeks or so. Had the issue off & on before but not every time I ran update until recently. Reached out to Wells Fargo & was told it is a Quicken issue. Tried to set up Direct Connect but Wells Fargo will not provide verification code except through text. I do not give my cell number to anyone; I use a landline. I can get a verification code through Quicken by phone call but not from Wells Fargo online. The verification code from Wells Fargo online is required to complete the Direct Connect setup. Wells Fargo told me direct connect would not solve the problem anyway as it is a Quicken issue. I do not have this issue with any of my other accounts. I think it is time for Quicken and/or Wells Fargo to accept responsibility and fix this.

• USA-Lenny
    USA-Lenny Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Same exact problem,,,, just started a few weeks ago. I contacted Wells Fargo and they had me verify the 2 factor authorization was not selected. They agree the problem is with Quicken. I do not wish to use Direct Connect. I have used Express Web Connect for years with no problems. In fact, before Quicken went to an annual subscription fee, I NEVER had a problem with the program.

I can sign onto the Wells Fargo site without having to receive a text or call proving the 2 factor is not active on the Wells Fargo side of things and pointing the finger to the Quicken programmers.

[Removed - Rant] [Edited - Readability]

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Problem still persists. [Removed - Disruptive/Off Topic] I have been using Quicken since it was DOS based. [Removed - Rant]

• darbusa
    darbusa Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am sorry to see users comments removed by someone who is not feeling the pain. I used to manage a large customer support organization and I know how tough it is. I always found listening to a complaint was much more productive than try to hide dirty laundry.

• USA-Lenny
    USA-Lenny Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken blames Wells Fargo, Wells Fargo blames Quicken. Direct Connect is not an option I desire. No problems for years and then after a Quicken update problems begin. So Quicken,, what is it exactly that Wells Fargo is doing since you say this is their doing? Why would Wells Fargo force a 2FA when the download request originates via a Quicken Server?

• DOS
    DOS Member ✭✭
    Options

Still NOT fixed. Wells Fargo says it is a Quicken problem.

This discussion has been closed.