How to setup Quicken, to view: my spending, spouse's spending, and shared spending

Options

Hi - I am new to Quicken and need some advice. My goal is to be able to view spending in three primary categories:

• My spending
  • Spouse's spending
  • Shared spending

Each of the above categories may have some similar subcategories, such as entertainment, travel, business etc, and some unique categories. We have a shared bank account, and separate credit cards (sometimes we use the credit cards for shared expenses). What is the best way to use categories, tags etc to achieve this?

Thank you!

Best Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well you can set up separate categories for each spouse but I would use Tags. Either add the Tag field to the register or enter a Tag with the category by entering a slash like Travel/wife. Then you can filter or sort the report by Tags.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, tags is the way to go. Do not create master categories for each person or subcategories for each person. This only makes reporting more difficult and limited. Keep your categories strictly to actual expense types.

Create a tag for each person (self, spouse, joint) in menu Window > Tags. I like to use the three-letter initials (plus JNT) for each tag to keep them short. (Power user hint: if you check the box "Use custom tag colors" in Quicken > Settings > General, then you can color the tags so they stand out more prominently in the registers.)

Since you are using Quicken for Mac, you can't use the slash notation in the Category column as described by @volvogirl above. Instead, you need to add the Tags column to each register by clicking menu View > Columns. Once the Tags column is in the register, it's easy to assign the tags: as you tab to the Tags field, just start typing the first character or two to add the tag.

Once you have transactions tagged, there is a canned Transactions by Tag report that will be useful to you. You will probably also find the report Crosstab > Category by Tag report useful. This will break down spending by Category down the left side of the report with a column for each Tag.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Well you can set up separate categories for each spouse but I would use Tags. Either add the Tag field to the register or enter a Tag with the category by entering a slash like Travel/wife. Then you can filter or sort the report by Tags.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, tags is the way to go. Do not create master categories for each person or subcategories for each person. This only makes reporting more difficult and limited. Keep your categories strictly to actual expense types.

Create a tag for each person (self, spouse, joint) in menu Window > Tags. I like to use the three-letter initials (plus JNT) for each tag to keep them short. (Power user hint: if you check the box "Use custom tag colors" in Quicken > Settings > General, then you can color the tags so they stand out more prominently in the registers.)

Since you are using Quicken for Mac, you can't use the slash notation in the Category column as described by @volvogirl above. Instead, you need to add the Tags column to each register by clicking menu View > Columns. Once the Tags column is in the register, it's easy to assign the tags: as you tab to the Tags field, just start typing the first character or two to add the tag.

Once you have transactions tagged, there is a canned Transactions by Tag report that will be useful to you. You will probably also find the report Crosstab > Category by Tag report useful. This will break down spending by Category down the left side of the report with a column for each Tag.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • holmanranch
    Options

Fantastic!! Thank you for the quick and thorough responses responses volvogirl and RickO. I really appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.