GM Financial Verification Code

Options

I'm using Quicken for Windows Build 27.12.52.20. I have a loan with GM Financial. I've had it working just fine for 3 years. About 2 weeks ago, every time I do a download, Quicken comes up asking me to enter a verification code from GM Financial, which gets e-mailed to me. I go into Quicken several times a day and do downloads multiple times a day. I have to go through this process every time I dod as download. GM Financial seems to have no idea why this is happening and really knows nothing about Quicken. Does anyone have any ideas how to get around this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This being a loan account, how many transactions a day do you expect to download from GM?

Workaround: See if you can turn off 2FA for this account, to eliminate the code.

Alternative:
    Just my 2cents' worth …
    I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage accounts for downloading. I would just simply set them up as "offline" (manual) loan accounts with a Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment from your checking account.
    (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here. They should be set up as offline credit card accounts)

At least in Quicken for Windows, an online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category name seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018 and newer
    you should be able to deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register. And you should also review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.

If you're a Q Mac user, you should be able to do something similar about setting up and maintaining an offline mortgage account together with a correctly calculated Scheduled Transaction Reminder for the monthly payments from your checking account.

• cwdavis
    cwdavis Member
    Options

I am having the same issue, not sure why it just started.

This discussion has been closed.