how to export individual accounts into a new Quicken file (edit)

Options
DeeGee1
DeeGee1 Member ✭✭

I want to export some, not all, of the cash, banking, and credit card accounts from one Quicken file and start a new Quicken file by importing just those accounts. How can I export individual accounts into a format that I can then import into a new Quicken file?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rather than exporting/importing, you could do a File→Backup or Copy File→Create a copy or template

Then, delete the accounts in it that you don't want.

If there were any transfers from any of the deleted accounts to the accounts that were kept, the category will be changed to "deleted account", but you would have gotten a similar situation if you did an export/import.

Unless you have many dozens of accounts to delete, this is the fastest process.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• DeeGee1
    DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I can't delete the accounts I don't want because of the way Quicken handles securities. What I want to do is have a Quicken file without my investment accounts due to Quicken's lousy UX for those kinds of accounts, but I don't want to start from scratch with the accounts I want to keep.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Why can't you delete the investment accounts?

I just made a copy of my data file using the menu selection that I cited earlier and I was able to delete the investment accounts.

The copy process "implies" that you can elect to not include the investment accounts in the copy, but I tried that first and the copy still had the investment accounts in it.

I was still able to delete the investment accounts successfully.

Please provide a screenshot of the warning/error that Quicken presents that shows that you cannot delete the investment accounts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

yeah - as mentioned by @splasher - create a Quicken Copy of your QDF file
    then Open that file and Delete the accounts you don't want…

What's not working with this method ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DeeGee1
    DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, that method might work. Thank you.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You DO NOT want to make a copy using Windows. Quicken will think both files are the same file based on their internal file id and can cause problems.

You MUST make the copy using the File→Backup or Copy File→Copy or template process I described earlier, it creates the copy with a different internal file id.

This discussion has been closed.