Category List Anomalies

Options
dlessmann
dlessmann Member ✭✭

I’ve noticed a few anomalies in the Category List in Quicken. First, there are several categories that were randomly added. They start with ACCT- followed by a four-digit alpha-code. (Refer to attachment Category List - Screenshot 1.) I have seen this before and deleted these categories, but something is causing them to come back. Can someone explain what is causing these random categories to appear and how to prevent it?

Next, and this one is more important, the first two categories under Tax are listed as Business Expenses rather than Personal Expenses. (Refer to attachment Category List – Screenshot 2.) When I try to change them to Personal Expenses, Personal Expenses is not on the list as an option. (Refer to attachment Category List – Screenshot 3.) When I try to create a new category group of Personal Expenses, I get an error message saying the group already exists. Can someone tell me how to setup Tax and Auto as Personal Expenses?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The ACCT_xxxx or TEMP_xxxx are holdovers from several years back. During One Step Update, Quicken used to create temporary accounts for holding downloaded transaction data. Normally, those temporary accounts would go away after OSU completed. But if something went wrong during OSU, they were left behind, invisible … until Quicken programmers fixed the issue.

A more recent change in Quicken seems to have unearthed these leftovers, making them visible. You should be able to delete them from the Category List.
    If you can't, run both Validate and Supervalidate on your Quicken data file. They should be gone afterwards, or they should be deletable now.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To change the category from Business to Personal you have to click on the Tax Reporting tab and pick a personal tax line instead of a schedule C tax line.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• dlessmann
    dlessmann Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you VolvoGirl. That worked, and your solution makes sense.

For now I will keep my question open to see if anyone can answer the first part regarding the random ACCT_ categories.

Cheers!

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The ACCT_xxxx or TEMP_xxxx are holdovers from several years back. During One Step Update, Quicken used to create temporary accounts for holding downloaded transaction data. Normally, those temporary accounts would go away after OSU completed. But if something went wrong during OSU, they were left behind, invisible … until Quicken programmers fixed the issue.

A more recent change in Quicken seems to have unearthed these leftovers, making them visible. You should be able to delete them from the Category List.
    If you can't, run both Validate and Supervalidate on your Quicken data file. They should be gone afterwards, or they should be deletable now.

• dlessmann
    dlessmann Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you UKR. How can I do a Supervalidate? Cheers!

• dlessmann
    dlessmann Member ✭✭
    Options

Never mind. I was able to discover how to do a Supervalidate by searching the site further. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.