TD Ameritrade to Schawb

Chaz75
Chaz75 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Any suggestions on how to do the transfer from TDA to Schawb in Quicken. As in delete TD and start new with Schawb or other ideas?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two ways of going here.

The first way is to disconnect the TD Ameritrade Account from TD Ameritrade and then reestablish downloading using Schwab as the financial institution "feeding" the Account.

The second way is to create new non-connected Schwab Accounts (i.e., no downloading) for each of the old TD Ameritrade Accounts, then transfer all the holding from the TD Ameritrade Account to the new Schwab Accounts. You'll get a Remove action in the old Accounts for each security and a bunch of Add actions in the new Account for each lot of each security.

This explains both process:

https://www.quicken.com/support/moving-your-td-ameritrade-accounts-schwab-quicken

• Chaz75

It seems method one does not work with multiple accounts under one name and password which is how Schwab has set up the new accounts. I had separate accounts with separate id's and passwords with TDA, Schwab has combined everything into one account name and password for the two accounts. Quicken does not like this. It states that one of the accounts does not exist at Schwab. Plus it does not allow me to link the existing accounts in Quicken to the new Schwab accounts. Method two seems to be very cumbersome to bother with.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023

"I had separate accounts with separate id's and passwords with TDA, Schwab has combined everything into one account name and password for the two accounts.

That wasn't my experience. Over at TD Ameritrade my wife and I had separate UserIDs and Passwords. Our accounts at Schwab (prior to the transfer of the TD Ameritrade accounts) were structured similarly. Our two TD Ameritrade accounts move properly; one under my UserID and Password, and one under hers. If your TD Ameritrade accounts were lumped under one UserID and Password then call Schwab and ask for that to be changed.

Still, I'd think that you could still download into Quicken with one UseriD and Password at Schwab. I don't see how or why Quicken (the program) would care about one UserID and Password for two Accounts. Both my wife and I have multiple accounts under our separate UserID and Password.

Schwab's instructions to TD Ameritrade account holders includes this bit:

Set up your Schwab Login ID and password before the account move.

You'll need it to access your account on Schwab.com and the Schwab Mobile app right after the move. We'll
    create a new Schwab account for every TD Ameritrade account you have.
    This will make it easy to manage your entire portfolio in one place. 

Did you do that? If not I expect that probably is why you ended up with one UserID and Password.

Call Schwab. I'll bet they've encountered this problem several time by now.

• Chaz75

So the issue is I had two separate accounts with TDA, one Roth, one traditional IRA using separate log in ID's and passwords. My wife's Roth transferred without issue other then I cannot link it in quicken to the old TDA ledger. Schwab wants you to use one ID and password for multiple accounts under one name. I did all the upfront work to move the accounts from TDA in August. I will call Schwab but am not hopeful.

This discussion has been closed.