One step update hangs

Options
willshelhamer
willshelhamer Member ✭✭

Hello,

The Quicken One Step update window becomes unresponsive after completing the One Step update. The selected financial institutions "complete" their update but I can't exit the One Step update window. When trying to close the One Step update window, the Quicken program becomes "unresponsive" and I need to close and restart the Quicken application.

I'm running on Windows with the September 2023 version installed. I spent the weekend validating the file and the One Step update worked as of Sunday, but I've experienced this problem since yesterday.

Help?

Comments

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken is probably trying to write to a protected folder (probably your Documents folder) and can't. Try going to Ransomware Protetection in Windows Security Settings and allow qw.exe through Controlled Folder Access.

• willshelhamer
    Options

Thanks for the thought @RalphC . I toggled the Quicken Mobile Sync slider and unchecked "synch to quicken cloud" and the problem went away. Seems like a bug in Quicken.

• MKF
    MKF Member
    Options

I still have the same issue even after unchecking the sync to quicken cloud. Any other suggestions?

• Weippert66
    Options

I have the same problem. I have tried syncing individual accounts to try and isolate the problem, but nothing works.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1. Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
      AND
    2. do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?
      The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken. Could your problem be caused by Sync?
      If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.
      If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
      Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud
    • Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• Ron Tittle
    Options

Since 09/27/2023 the One Step Update option no longer works for updating my Chase credit card, Discover credit card, and my PNC Bank accounts. It appears that my TD Ameritrade and Wells Fargo Advisors accounts are updating to completion. I have also tried to update each account individually but that also does not work.
    I receive a "Quicken Windows is not responding" message box and must close the program.

• Kathy78236
    Options

Since the upgrade version R52.28 Build 27.1.52.28, I cannot update my accounts. As listed above one step update hangs and I have to "kill" Quicken with task manager. I have tried reinstalling the patch and nothing works. Can someone help?? Please!!??

• dlopez
    dlopez Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same issue. One step update gets stuck at the Processing Data steps for all of my accounts across several banks. No way to get out other than control alt delete. I have the same release and build number as kathy78236

• j1c1d1
    j1c1d1 Member
    Options

Same Issue, A couple of accounts up date, but most do not. It either hangs or crashes.

• jkmartini
    jkmartini Member
    Options

I have the same issue. When is Quicken going to send us a notice to inform all that there is an issue and what they are doing to fix it?

• dlopez
    dlopez Member ✭✭
    Options

I spoke with Quicken support today. They say they have an open ticket on this problem resulting from when I reported it last Sunday (five days ago) and uploaded my files to them. The person I spoke with said they are working on it and couldn't offer an ETA.

• bttmj5
    bttmj5 Member
    Options

Having same problem. Used to be so easy to download transactions from my Chase Credit Card with the QFX or the QIF download. Now, a dialog box shows up and it still doesnt work! Do I need to actually manually input each and every one of these transactions from my statement? That is going to take hours! Please Quicken support…Fix this ASAP.

• GOUser
    GOUser Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Having the same problem

• Vani
    Vani Member ✭✭
    Options

My Quicken crashes every time I do a One Step Update. I can update each account individually, but it crashes if I use One Step Update. This happened ever since the last update.

• mcalcpa
    mcalcpa Member
    Options

Same problem…Started around Oct 15 (after an update installed). Have tried every day since, and Quicken hangs up every time I try to download transactions ("Processing data…"), and I have to manually force Quicken to close. For me, it does not matter if I try to download transactions for individual accounts (one at a time), or all of them at once using One Step Update—hangs up during downloading 100% of the time, no matter what. Have done all the usual recommendations from Quicken (Super Validate, sign out/sign in, etc.) THIS BASIC QUICKEN FUNCTIONALITY—FIX!!! (Every month, it is something…)

• marcbarnes
    Options

any further updates? I am having the same issue. Only my chase account. :( I hope they are escalating a fix….

• marcbarnes
    Options

actually after hanging for about 30 minutes it did actually update. I haven't been able to update from Chase since early October so perhaps some progress? Still needs to be helped from hanging so long….

• WagonDriver
    WagonDriver Member ✭✭
    Options

I have narrowed it down to those accounts that use Express Web Connect +. If I try to update any of those accounts (Chase, Amex, Schwab) it will hang Quicken. All other accounts work fine.

• Kenneth Sapp
    Kenneth Sapp Member ✭✭
    Options

My Express Web Connect + for Amazon Card, Schwab and USAA end up in dark screen and hangup. Must use alt, ctrl, del to exit. This ocurred after Schwab transferred my TD Ameritrade accounts. Anybody have a fix?

• WagonDriver
    WagonDriver Member ✭✭
    Options

Quicken issued an update today but it didn't fix the problem. My workaround at this point has been downloading .qfx files from Chase, Amex, etc.

• Simmousa
    Simmousa Member
    Options

This isnt the package I was sold been waiting 20 mins for my accounts to update. I might as well use excel!!

• michael saffell
    Options

Well it seems i found a solution and its a simple one. I just opened a new quicken file and put in my accounts. One step update worked without a problem. I had to go through and add my accounts like i was a brand new user. This seems painful to do but it did work. Hopefully we wont have to do this everytime we run into this problem

• WagonDriver
    WagonDriver Member ✭✭
    Options

I've used Quicken since 1993. That would not be a solution for me.

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Response to Quotes:

• 2nd jkmartini's question - Also missed the notice of the issue and update on the fix.
    • (Also a user since the 1990's.) I appreciate WagonDriver's workaround, but I don't want to pay rental while downloading my own updates.

I was not paying attention —> Did not notice my last completed updates were late Oct - early Nov.

• Notes during download:
      • "Financial Institutions" are grayed out and "waiting"
      • Note for "Online Services" appear "updated" - investment records haven't been used since retirement accounts were combined a decade ago.

Come own guys, please get this fixed.

Make the rental worth it.

• michael saffell
    Options

I hear you guys from the 90's and i agree. I am in your corner but, it did work. I dont think quicken is going to find a quick solution. It wasn't as difficult as it sounded to start a new quicken file. My password vault wasnt effected.

• Granny Franny
    Options

I have had nothing but grief from one-step update for several months. In addition to taking forever (we're talking hours with occasional crashes), I find extraneous transactions in my registers. The only good news is that the same transactions (unique to each account ) are inserted each time, so now I know how to clean up the mess. If I attempt to update "uninfected" accounts, the zombie transactions appear anyway, even in accounts not updated. I'm not talking about downloaded transactions: these are transactions , some cleared/reconciled, some not that just appear in the register. They are usually duplicates of existing transactions. You can only imagine how much fun it is to figure out why the balances in my account mysteriously change. I'm not happy to pay for a bookkeeping program that seems to be inhabited by gremlins.

I have validated my file several times, but although it gets a good report, it is huge and old, so maybe it is broken….

After reading this thread, I am turning off all cloud syncing. will let you know how it goes.

• Granny Franny
    Options

My last comment was about a half hour ago

The good news is that after turning off cloud sync, I was able to one-step update my 3 Chase accounts without any unexpected transactions or changes to my account balances. It did take (I think) most of the half hour but this is truly a breakthrough.

My next experiment will be to try to do all of my accounts and see which of my other (many) issues may have been resolved.

Thanks to the community for your insights.

My suggestion to Quicken: warn all users that unless they actually use cloud sync they should disable it.

• Granny Franny
    Options

Back again.

So I update all of my accounts in less that 5 minutes, with no zombie transactions. Life is much better.

I just realized that Quicken also updated itself today, so maybe they fixed something. Having spent countless hours chasing zombie transactions, I'll leave it to someone else (how about you, Quicken?) to figure out and document whether the updated software or turning off cloud sync actually fixed my problem.

This discussion has been closed.