"type" in "transactions" for accounts

Options
tomspott
tomspott Member
edited October 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Please have the tech support create a new "type" transaction when money moves in a Retirement account (IRA 401(k), etc.). The type of transaction should say "retirement account income" so when I do a category analysis it doesn't get mixed up in taxable income. Right now I recode it from dividend or interest to "Payment" then the description category to _DivIncTaxFree. I check the box remember this but it never does - I think because I changed the "type" code to payment/deposit. Let me know when you fix it.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@tomspott First, this forum isn't Quicken Support. They won't fix and issue based on your post here, nor notify you. This is a Quicken users community forum, with assistance from a handful of Quicken moderators. If you want speak with Quicken Support, you should call them or do a text chat with them during their operating hours listed on the Support page.

That said, I wonder if we can help with the issue you raised. The category you're trying to use ("_DivIncTaxFree") appears to be a carry-over from Quicken Windows. Did you previously use Quicken windows? I say that because Quicken Mac categories do not start with an underscore character.

When you have transactions within a retirement account, using the normal Type designations — like Interest Income, Dividend Income, Reinvested Dividends, or Sell — Quicken excludes the activity from showing up on a Tax report as taxable income. For instance, reinvested dividends or the sale of shares of a security in a retirement account do not show up as dividend income or capital gain income in a Tax report. So perhaps you can elaborate on where you're seeing such activity reported as taxable income. If you're doing a Transactions by Category report, you might want to exclude the retirement accounts from that report, so you don't see the dividend/gain income.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.