Problem importing accounts

Options
ljonas
ljonas Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Hello! I am running really late on things this year. I started a new file for 2023. I have successfully imported my bank account, credit card and mortgage information.

Now I am trying to import from a QIF file exported from my 2022 file into my 2023 file. I have four different accounts, an IRA, a 401K, a profit sharing and a regular investment account.

When I go to import them I choose one account (starting with the IRA). My problem is instead of importing just the information for the IRA account, it is importing all of my securities from the four different accounts into the IRA account.

I'm not sure what to do so I do not have to re-enter manually all the information because there is years worth in some of the accounts. Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue doing investment imports?

Best Answer

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

guessing you used the Export —> QIF —> and selected ALL ACCOUNTS vs exporting each individual account -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I may ask, why do you start a new file each year? My Quicken file goes back to the 90's. Seems like you are just creating more work for yourself.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

BUT WHY ? I started a new file for 2023.

unless you are just starting for some reason, most folks just have ONE Quicken QDF data file that contains ALL their past financial history, all in one place to better be able to see everything…

Now I am trying to import from a QIF file exported from my 2022 file into my 2023 file.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ljonas
    ljonas Member ✭✭
    Options

The why is not the point. The point is I did. I just would like help to pull over the investments without them all pulling into the same account.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

guessing you used the Export —> QIF —> and selected ALL ACCOUNTS vs exporting each individual account -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could you just go back to your old file and bring that one up to date and forget about the new 2023 file? Download your transactions into that.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• ljonas
    ljonas Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you @Ps56k2. That was exactly the problem. I have some minor differences but that could be because I have not yet downloaded the share prices.

This discussion has been closed.