Is there an old file "reader" utility? Which files do I look at?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I've been a Quicken user since the 1990's. In the beginning, I think I foolishly thought that I should start a new file every year. When I stopped doing that and just kept all data in the current file, I eventually had some performance issues that made me stop using the current file (thinking of it as a "look up" archive) and start a new file.

Going back to the 90's - what were the file extensions used for the files necessary to OPEN a Quicken data file? (I seem to remember that we used to have to have the data and an index file, perhaps?) I don't suppose there's any kind of read-only "previewer" utility for old Quicken files, is there? I just need to get an idea of the dates included in each file, once I determine which files are needed, and go back and document which files contains which data - then convert them all (and maybe IMPORT the data, if possible, so it's ALL in one file).

I ask because there HAVE been a number of times when I've wondered where I bought something, or when I bought something, or how much I paid for something, that could have been from a very long time ago. I'd like this information at my fingertips, if I could. And, since getting a full transaction report exported to a PDF has proven impossible for me, for a number of years (because of report preview/formatting issues due to screen resolution issues), I do NOT have any year-end reporting that would make this easy.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

sorry no viewer. You need to open files in the full program. Here's a list I have of file extensions. There might be others. You may need to install older programs if you can find any and might need an old computer.

I have 7 files for my data. Like  mydata.qdf   is the main file, the rest can end in:
    .QDF
    .IDB
    .IDX
    .QEL
    .QPH
    .OSD
    .QTX

You might be able to find older versions on the internet like EBay or Amazon, etc.  if you do buy an older version you will first need to update it.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken
      http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    Options

You can try to convert your old files to your current version. How to use an intermediate version to convert to a newer version

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.  The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for this, though I'm still hoping (unrealistically) to find that there's a Q file previewer available so I don't have to fully open all of my old ones!

I do want to ask, though, if the IDX, QEL or QPH files actually hold data REQUIRED to open the data files?

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓
    Options

sorry no viewer. You need to open files in the full program. Here's a list I have of file extensions. There might be others. You may need to install older programs if you can find any and might need an old computer.

I have 7 files for my data. Like  mydata.qdf   is the main file, the rest can end in:
    .QDF
    .IDB
    .IDX
    .QEL
    .QPH
    .OSD
    .QTX

You might be able to find older versions on the internet like EBay or Amazon, etc.  if you do buy an older version you will first need to update it.  One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken
      http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@volvogirl - I just noticed your profile "signature" ("I'm staying on Quicken 2013…")

This is possible? Are you just no longer able to download transactions, but everything else works okay? (What about security prices?)

Consider the issues I have with being on the most up-to-date version (or close to it) - I would seriously consider rolling back to 2013, if it wasn't a big deal.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • volvogirl
    Options

About 2013. Yes I enter everything manually. They were letting us download stock quotes but they recently turned that off too. 2013 works fine. 2013 is the last good version before they started requiring an ID and since they went to the subscription model where if you don't renew about 25% of your screen is taken up with an ad to renew.

But no, you can not go back to an earlier version. Quicken is not backward compatible. But if you have another computer you can download 2013 for free and try to convert and open your older files.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no "Q file previewer available". The only thing that can open a Quicken data file is a Quicken program that is compatible with the data file. By compatible, the program has to be either the year of the program that created the data file of newer. There is also a limit to that such as current subscription Quicken can not open a Quicken 98 data file.

It has been stated in previous posts, that if a user wants to do a "year end copy" and purge the older data from their data file and still be able to use the older files for reference, they would need to open/convert the older files with the newer program when they upgraded Quicken. Over time, that is a lot of files, it is far better to keep all of your information in a single file.

Personally, my data file goes back to 1996 and has no attachments in it to cause it to be bloated and runs just fine.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

M recollection which may be faulty:

.QDF Primary data file
    .IDB An index file probably not needed
    .IDX An index file probably not needed
    .QEL for electronic bank interface; probably not needed
    .QPH. Price history data for securities; needed if investment features used
    .OSD Don’t know
    .QTX Tax form related, probably not needed

As identified in a prior link, a lot depends on the version used and what you are trying to recover.

This discussion has been closed.