Stock Option Price Quotes

Options
jaxgab
jaxgab Member ✭✭

In Quicken Premier at the bottom of the Investing tab, you can read a message that says "Online quotes delayed at least 15 minutes. Qptions quotes are previous days close." This message along with many messages posted at this web site imply that Quicken Premier will easily update stock option prices.

To update stock option prices in Quicken Premier, you apparently need to connect your brokerage account to Quicken and then Quicken will try and grab your option prices from your stock broker. Stock price updates, on the other hand, don't work that way and these prices are provided by Quicken via the internet. There are also plenty of posts at this web site about the Quicken stock option price update process not working very well.

I've never connected my Vanguard and Fidelity brokerage accounts to Quicken because I don't like the idea of my broker updating my Quicken accounts. I prefer to manually enter my trades as soon as they execute and therefore always know my Quicken accounts are up-to-date. I also really can't understand why Quicken can't update stock option prices without connecting to a broker.

For Quicken users that might be interested, you are able to easily grab your current stock stock option prices in Excel via an Excel function. These option prices are grabbed from Yahoo, placed in a text file and then imported daily into Quicken. The process takes about 30 seconds. Warning: Yahoo stock option prices are also always based on actual stock option trades while Fidelity stock option prices are sometimes based on bid/asked option prices (i.e. not actual stock option trades).

This discussion has been closed.