Quicken Performance Improvement Clearing Standby Memory

Options
basimmer
basimmer Member ✭✭

Like many folks, I have had performance issues with Quicken particularly while processing downloaded or manually entered dividend reinvestments. At times, Quicken screens will flash in and out of focus and go not responding for several minutes or must be force closed. It is general worse while using Chrome viewing website transactions and if downloading transactions to an OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet.

I am using a Win 11 PC with 8GB RAM. Memory usage would spike and show minimal free memory. While investigating possible solutions (without adding RAM), I ran across RAMMAP and a discussion about standby memory. In experimenting with clearing standby memory, I found Quicken performance overall to be somewhat better. It is not a total solution and dividend entries still may lag some. However, I have not seen Quicken screens flash incessantly and cause me to force close Quicken.

RAMMAP is a Microsoft Sysinternals tool you will find on an Internet search. There is plenty of documentation and video tutorials if you want to know about standby memory. RAMMAP will allow you to clear standby memory but you cannot use it easily as a Windows scheduled task. To setup a scheduled task, search for emptystandbylist.exe on the Internet and you should find a video tutorial on how to set this up. As with all downloads take care to scan the file for malware or viruses (note the "safe" version of emptystandbylist.exe I am using has a 137 KB file size).

I have the scheduled task run every 5 minutes and it has helped Quicken performance especially while using Chrome and OpenOffice (which are both memory hogs I might add). Still, I would not advise switching focus away from Quicken during reinvestment transactions until Quicken has finished moving items on the screen.

This discussion has been closed.