American Express Credit Card Issues

Options
MDH
MDH Member ✭✭

I'm using Windows version R52.28. My problems started after the release before this most current one when the app became effectively unusable. It consistently crashed when I tried to open it and when it did open it crashed when I tried to update accounts, or when I tried to enter transactions. It even crashed when I wasn't attempting anything.

Anyway, as a means of troubleshooting the problem I validated and super validated the file. I also did a "save a copy" and am now running the new file. As a requirement of the latter every connection was lost as if it didn't exist and I needed to re reestablish them. After hours of attempts (the app still crashes frequently- at least 5-8 times during a ~ 20 minute use session) I finally have every connection fully re-established except Amex. With them I have both a credit card and a savings account that gets accessed through the same user ID and PW. Unfortunately, Quicken only finds the savings account and not the credit card so I can't relink that account. And yes, it worked before Quicken's most recent update to change the logo. So- does anyone have a suggestion on how I might I address this?

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @MDH,

To troubleshoot this issue, since you've already tried validate/super validate and that didn't work, I would recommend restoring a backup from before the issue started.

Let me know how it goes.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• imdcareys
    imdcareys Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@MDH said "Anyway, as a means of troubleshooting the problem I validated and super validated the file."

I seem to have had the same issue as you are with two Amex accounts. For a prior issue, in doing the validate/super validate, I was advised by one of the moderators here to exit Quicken after performing the Validate and keep it closed 5 seconds, then do that again for the Super Validate.

I did both of those, creating a backup before each Validate. There were no Issues in the logs. After the Super Validate and reopen Quicken, I edited one of the accounts, changed to the Online Services tab, and did the Reset Account there. It took me through a process of logging in to the Amex website and explicitly giving Quicken permission to access my file. When that was all done I verified that each account was connected to the correct account in Quicken.

My transactions - missing since 9/20/23 - finally downloaded. I rarely ever use the Blue card, but it's there just in case… :

YMMV,

-Carey

Win 11 - Quicken Premier - v54.16

• MDH
    MDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Carey - thank you, sincerely, for the reply. Unfortunately, it did not work for me.

• MDH
    MDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Kristina- what got me to this point is that I could not get the file to launch 95% of the time as it crashed before opening. In the rare instances it did open, it crashed 95% of the time when trying to do transaction downloads. If you have a solution for those issues that are different that the solution that largely got me past those problems and into the arms of this one perhaps restoring a back up might work. At least now it only crashes periodically and I can generally successfully perform downloads from 10 other financial institutions that I could not perform in the previous file versions. Any further thoughts?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

One thing that may cause crashing is if your Quicken file is being accessed by more than one process at the same time (for example, if a cloud service is syncing with the file while you are in the file). Do you keep your Quicken file directly on the C drive? Is it synced with any backup or cloud service (if it is, you will often see the service name listed in the file location)?

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MDH
    MDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I do sync to a cloud and will consider that if crashes become a problem again. But that is not my problem now. My American Express credit card account not being identified is. I see there are MANY other threads with people having problems with American Express. It seems as if AMEX and Quicken are no longer "collaborating". Is that the case?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

American Express is still supported; they changed how they connect with us a few months ago, but you should still be able to connect and download using the Express Web Connect+ (EWC+) connection method. Are you the primary account holder for that credit card account? Does it have recent transactions? Is it a business account or a personal account?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• MDH
    MDH Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes I am the primary account holder. It is a personal account and there are recent transactions.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Which connection are you using in Quicken? Some connection options you see when you go to Tools>Add Account and search for the financial institution may not give access to all account types. For instance, if you are trying to connect using American Express - Banking, then maybe try adding the credit card account by selecting American Express instead and see if that allows you to connect the credit card account.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.