Bulk editing of transactions

Options

I have an Investment Account I set up and have been using since 2017 for metals, I buy with cash and then do a bulk transfer to my cash account each year. Well, I discovered I could do this transaction if I clicked "Enter Transaction" and then "From" and the cash account I use. How can I do a BULK edit on all the transactions to get them all to move "From this account's cash balance" to "From "?

Answers

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

Note the chatGPT "assistant" keeps implying you can either CTL-Click to select multiple or CLT-A to select all … then do a bulk edit. This does not work and on CTL-A I get the account edit menu. SO???

BTW Version up to date with R52.28

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

DESKTOP version - Classic Deluxe … Build 27.1.52.28

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

I do notice when I manually change the transaction withing the "Enter Transaction" and not the LINE I can change that selection. I cannot edit it via the line. So I have hundreds of transactions I have to right click→edit→deselect "From this account's cash balance" and select "From:" then from the drop down select the cash account. I don't want to have to do this a bunch of transactions

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

From the "GEAR" drop down on the top right of the transaction list, I can "Edit Multiple Transactions" but it only allows me to Duplicate, Mark Reconcile, Mark Cleared or Mark Uncleared. So I cannot edit the account selection.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

chatGPT is correct, but they fail to state that those instructions only apply to NON-INVESTMENT accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

But my question was specifically directed to an Investment account;-) I understand ChatGPT is only as valuable as the question you ask it. The more specific, the closer to the correct answer … the quicken chatgpt interface asks if the answer was correct but does not allow you to click a yes or no or anything … just have to reword and ask again. After 10 iterations of ^A, shift-click and ^click i came here … and still looking for the answer, if any? Heck, is this a huge SQL database I can modify with a "SELECT …." ???

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

maybe I just need to get a keystroke capture program and just run the sequence without a mouse:-)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry, I can't think of a quick and easy way to do this. Edit / Find/Replace only works for bank account registers.

How about you just edit the transactions made this year? That shouldn't be too many, I hope.
    And record correct transfer transactions going forward.

But remember: Changing these transaction to "From another account" will make transfer transactions appear in the cash account, changing the balance of the cash account. So you will have to remove any bulk transfers you already recorded this year.

• cvs334
    cvs334 Member
    Options

Fortunately I don't balance the cash account and there are not that many overall … I honestly think the keypad recorder/replay will be the best approach since it does not appear Quicken will do it.

This discussion has been closed.