Importing Amazon product descriptions

Options
iainsmith
iainsmith Member ✭✭

I use the Amazon - Chase credit card for all my Amazon purchases. It takes a ridiculous amount of time and frustration to figure out which Chase charge corresponds to which Amazon purchase. Is there any way to import a product description into Quicken so I can more easily reconcile my Chase credit card?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The short answer is: NO. The only way this could be possible would be if the bank transmitted this information to Quicken. This information is not transmitted by the bank and not only that, I'm sure the bank doesn't even have any such info.

I also make a ton of purchases from Amazon on that card. Here's how I handle it: When you make each purchase from Amazon, make a note of the date, amount and item description (or simply print out the Amazon invoice). If you're on your phone, screenshots work for this. If you're on the same computer as Quicken, you can just refer to the purchase screen without printing or making a note.

Then, pre-enter the transaction in Quicken. You can do this one at a time, daily, weekly or on whatever schedule works for you. When you download transactions, they will automatically match by amount, showing a blue pencil icon in the Status column. This removes much of the frustration and even though it may seem initially to be more work, it actually is not.

Another advantage of this method is that you will catch any instances where Amazon has charged the wrong amount. This doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. One case where I notice this is that some marketplace vendors don't charge my local county sales tax (only charge state tax), even though Amazon initially invoices the transaction with both taxes charged.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.