Quicken won't run because - Telerik.Windows.....dll - is blocked by Windows Security (edit)

Options
sfpeter
sfpeter Member ✭✭

When I tried to open Quicken, Quicken would not run. I am able to open Quicken with Ctrl+Shift, but as soon as I started to open a new file or run "repair", the Quicken windows closed. Re-install Quicken does not fixed. I always got the same message right after the software crashed, something related to Windows Smart App and Telerik.Windows.Data.dll cannot been confirmed.

I am using Windows 11 Pro.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Tagged:

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

can't you just click on that screen to somehow add or allow that DLL to run ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

seems to have all the details -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sfpeter
    sfpeter Member ✭✭
    Options

I cannot click on that screen to allow the DLL to run, it is not like firewall. When I click on that Windows, it showed me a page and it said Microsoft Smart App is protecting me … etc. Yes, it's a Quicken file, and can anyone provide a solution for me to run Quicken?

• sfpeter
    sfpeter Member ✭✭
    Options

"Smart app control has blocked part of this app

If you see this message, it means that an app, service, or piece of hardware that you’re using has tried to load a driver, app, or other file that isn’t properly signed.

You might think of it like inviting someone to a enter a secure area and they bring a guest along. Even though you may be confident that the person you invited is safe, you’ll still want to confirm that their guest is as well.

Smart App Control knows that what you're using is safe but isn't able to make a confident prediction about the safety of the other file your app opened so it attempted to verify the publisher of that file by checking its signature. The file isn’t properly signed so Smart App Control has blocked it.

As a result, whatever functionality that file was supposed to provide isn’t going to work, even though the rest of the app may continue to work just fine."

That is the message.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can turn off Smart App Control but it can only be turned on again by reinstalling Windows. It's turned off on my Windows 11.

https://www.lifewire.com/turn-on-off-smart-app-control-windows-11-6749523

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

if you go to the Quicken sub-dir and find these files - as listed above —→ C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\
    and select each one, and right-click Properties -
    you will notice that NONE of them have any Digital Signatures (tab) -
    but the other DLL modules in the sub-dir DO have Digital Signatures (tab).

So - it’s basically a problem with the TEKERIK modules that Quicken has included in their software …

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sfpeter
    sfpeter Member ✭✭
    Options

So it's Quicken's fault.

I am not sure about turning off MS Smart App Control. After all, it is designed to protect users.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

I believe it's off by default. Both my Windows 11 computers have it off and I don't think I've ever turned it off.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

it’s surprising that this scenario has not come up with those folks running Quicken and Win11.
    However, It would only occur with the right set of circumstances- the right level of updated Win11, having MS App Control functioning in the ON mode, and of course Quicken modules with no Digital Signatures.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jhl
    jhl Member
    Options

I got this message today. I have a clean install of Windows11 and reluctant to just disable a security feature to use Quicken. How can we find out if Quicken management team is trying to resolve this?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

wonder if anyone with recent versions of Quicken installed - have different date stamps for these files ?
    as listed above —→ C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\

tnx - should have added…. look at the Properties - and see if these have a Digital Signature tab -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

Quicken R52.33

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

tnx - should have added…. look at the Properties - and see if these have a Digital Signature tab -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Greg_the_Geek
    Options

No Digital Signature tab.

This discussion has been closed.