When I ask to do a backup I get a message "unable to open source file"

Options

I have my quicken files stored in dropbox. When Quicken asks if I want to perform a backup I say yes. It actually does do a backup as requested but gives me an error message "unable to open source file". How do I correct this?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Move your data files into a folder not monitored by Dropbox. You are creating conflicts between Quicken and Dropbox as they try to access the file simultaneously. You can instead do your backups to Dropbox.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

This is because Dropbox is backing it up when quicken is trying to access it to open it up after the backup.

File is suggested to not be on Dropbox, one drive, etc..

You could pause Dropbox or move the datafile back to documents/quicken as they recommend.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where is your active Quicken QDF data file stored - full path name - ?
    Is this path then defined to DropBox for realtime backup ?

It usually is NOT a good idea to have ANY active Quicken data file or Quicken backup activity using a "remote cloud" service -
    Quicken is fragile - and opens/closes the data files as needed and does not appear to lock/unlock froom beginning to end -
    This sometimes results in conflicts with remote cloud services also attempting to open the Quicken files -
    or worse - can create data file corruption…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.