Backup issues - Unable to open source file - E: flash drive (edit)

Options
sbasnett
sbasnett Member

Since a recent update of Quicken, I have been unable to (in 1 attempt) to back up the files to a flash drive. After contacting support and them dialing in offered a couple of possible solutions, but even those have not resolved the issue. Has anyone else run into this issue and how was it respoved?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

where is your Quicken QDF file located -
    which drive -
    what is the full path name -

is this QDF file location - also being used by any real time cloud backup service?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sbasnett
    sbasnett Member
    Options

File is located on E: drive (flash drive) no real time cloud backup. This drive was working fine until the recent update from Quicken to Quicken Classic.

• Robert on Quicken
    Options

I'm having the exact same problem after the latest Quicken update.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Quicken has issues when -

• Quicken QDF data file is NOT on C drive
    • Quicken data folder being used by cloud backup service

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The "source file" in your error message refers to the currently active Quicken data file, not the backup copy on the external drive. When creating a backup, Quicken closes the data file to ensure that all changes have been written to disk. A background cloud backup program uses this opportunity to begin its own backup processing, preventing Quicken from completing its task.

On recent Windows systems MS OneDrive has been observed to be active in the background by default even if the user never uses it or is aware of it being there.
    Please check your Windows configuration's MS OneDrive settings. The folder containing your Quicken data file(s), typically C:\Users\your_username\Documents\Quicken, and all its subfolders and files must be excluded from processing by OneDrive.

• sornord sornord
    Options

Same here. I have been using Google Drive for my primary AND backups for many years with no problems until recently. The last time I was able to use Quicken was on or about 6 or 7 Oct 2023. I saved backups to Google Drive after each use. Now I can't open my primary file nor restore from any of my backups on Google Drive. I've restarted Windows, Quicken, uninstalled/reinstalled Quicken, copied the Google Drive files (primary and backups) to my local drives, C: and D: (Unless absolutely necessary, I put all apps on D: and leave C: for the OS.) The latest version of Quicken can't open or restore ANYTHING from Google Drive, C:, or D:. Unless I can solve this problem and open or restore SOMETHING, it appears I've lost EVERYTHING I had in Quicken. That is everything back to when Microsoft discontinued MS Money, circa 2009.

• sbasnett
    sbasnett Member
    Options

Thanks for the input ref. to "OneDrive" did find that it was running in the background, disabled that. Still when trying to save a back up, even after restarting the computer" still unable to save a backup, now what I have noticed that after the 2nd or 3rd attempt at saving the file, it will save the file. However if it is an existing file from say todays date, I do not get any warning about a duplicate file or even if I want to save the current copy. And this is only with Quicken, other existing file I try to save a copy of I get the warnings and request to save.

• sornord sornord
    Options

I just now re-opened Google Drive and let my Quicken files sync completely…as I did after every Quicken use. After the sync, I couldn't open my primary data file nor my two latest backups. I was, THANK GOODNESS, able to restore a backup from 5 Oct 2023. It's syncing to the cloud now. I will have to manually re-enter/re-accept things since Oct 5th, but I HOPE my earlier data is still there. As I said before I stored my primary and all my backups to Google Drive for AT LEAST nine years and only had trouble since late last week.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@sornord sornord - FYI - the Quicken QDF file and the Backup QDF files are just Quicken copies of each other -

and it seems that recently, Quicken has had problems with accessing any QDF file that is NOT on the C drive… not just a local drive -

Also - any cloud backup service running and accessing that same Quicken QDF data folder

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• sbasnett
    sbasnett Member
    Options

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions, after the "OneDrive" suggestion it started me thinking about when this issue started and I started looking into that time period and found a 3rd party app had been installed on my PC without my knowledge (RAVProtect, RAV SaveWeb, & RAVVPN). I had not installed these programs so I deleted them and all of their associated files and registry entries. Once they were deleted I am able to save Quicken backup without issue

If anyone is still having issues my suggestion would be to check and see if there is a 3rd party app that might be causing your issue like in my case.

Again thank you all.

• Judy M.
    Judy M. Member ✭✭
    Options

Could you please explain the best way to avoid having Quicken data going to OneDrive? (OneDrive should be an option, not the default!)

Judy Madnick

• Rusty9
    Rusty9 Member ✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/sbasnett

In your haste to close the program you might have been in the wrong drive Next time double check that you are in your flash drive. I have done it a couple of times.

This discussion has been closed.