See and create transfers to/from savings goals on the "SPENDING" tab

Options
Turtle-Man
Turtle-Man Member
edited October 2023 in Budget and Planning Tools

When I review my transactions on the "SPENDING" tab, I can see deposits and withdrawals on my accounts. Transfers to and from savings goals don't affect those accounts in banks in the real world, but they are very much a part of how I want to manage my money.

When I see a deposit in the spending view, if that deposit was for a bonus or some other irregular income, I want to be sure to allocate that money to some savings goal. I would like this view to show me whether I've already done so. If I can see the deposit, and I can see that I haven't already set it aside to one or more savings goals, I want to be able to create the transfer to my savings goals immediately in that same view, where I can still see the details of the transaction that prompted me to save it.

Likewise, if I see an expense in the spending view, and I recognize that this is a purchase I've been saving for, then I want to create a transfer from a savings goal immediately, in that same view where I can still see the details of the transaction.

Since I don't have that behavior right now, I have to keep pencil and paper handy to make sure I have all the details right before changing contexts in the application to a tab where I can start entering the savings goals transactions. Besides being a bother, my having to copy the details onto a scratchpad also presents an opportunity for error.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

While I can't claim to fully understand your problem, or your requested solution; I'll offer a few thoughts.

Savings Goal contributions/withdrawals are not only NOT "Spending", they're not even "cash flow". So it seems to me the "Spending" tab is not a suitable place to display them.

To the extent that I understand what you're looking for; 
    I think it's possible that some combination of saved reports (for example: a saved Banking > Transactions report showing Savings Goal transactions for the period of interest, plus a saved Banking > Transactions report showing transactions that might trigger the manual creation of Savings Goal transactions), and possibly the use of "Popup registers", might make suffice.

You could probably also include both the savings goal transactions and the "trigger" transactions in the same saved report; subtotaled by Account.

Double-clicking on a transaction in a report will take you to that transaction in its account register - from there you can move to the end of the account register and create a new transfer transaction.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Turtle-Man
    Options

Our misunderstanding of each other's postings is mutual :-).

I'm not sure I understand what you meant about having a combination of saved reports, but having to look at multiple reports to see my status sounds like a more complicated usage model than what I'm look for. But that's okay; since the time I first made that posting, I came to a better understanding of how savings goals work, and I now have what I was originally looking for.

Thanks anyway for offering to help.