Triple Net Category - How to include in Rent payment transaction

Options

I have a tenant that pays rent and also pays additional for triple net. Do I add that to the rent portion and then categorize it in the register?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Having never heard of Triple Net before, I had to google it first:

A triple net lease (triple-net or NNN) is a lease agreement on a property whereby the tenant or lessee promises to
    pay all the expenses of the property, including real estate taxes, building insurance, and maintenance
    . These expenses are in addition to the cost of rent and utilities.

AFAIK the Rent Manager feature, there's no way to directly change the Rent Payment Scheduled Reminder and add a Split for the Triple Net amount. That reminder is using a special format which you cannot change to add a category split.

You could do the following, assuming you already have (or create) a NNN income category, e.g., "Triple Net Received":

• Change the monthly rent amount to include $xxx.xx for NNN.
      Record the Rent reminder as usual for the full amount, rent + NNN.
    • Create and use a 2nd monthly reminder, "Tenant name (NNN)" for $0.00 with a Split
      - subtract $xxx.xx from category Rents Received
      - add $xxx.xx to category Triple Net Received
      This moves the money to the NNN category for tracking.

It might be a good idea if the Quicken programmers could enhance the Rental Property Tenant transaction to add a few extra Split lines, e.g., one for Rent Received, several others for extra items like NNN or other regular charges to the tenant.

This discussion has been closed.