Correcting a security cost in Quicken for Mac

Options
David Walters
David Walters Member
edited November 2023 in Investing (Mac)

I am using Quicken for Mac version 7.3.2 and Mac OS 14. I have a security with an incorrect cost. How can I manually change the cost to the correct amount? All of the answers on this site refer to a Tool menu which I understand doesn't exist on the Mac version of Quicken. Is there another way to correct a security cost?

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Click menu Window > Securities. Use the search box to find the security. Double click the security, then click the Price History tab and make your correction(s) there.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • David Walters
    Options

Thanks I have already tried that but it won't correct the original cost. It will only allow me to change current or historical market price. My issue is with the acquisition cost which is incorrect and that is what I am trying to correct.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Oh, for that you need to go back and edit the purchase transaction in the account register. Unless that account only allows Simple investment tracking and there is no register - in that case I don't know what you'd do.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Acquisition cost is a function of the price (on the acquisition date) and number of shares acquired. You can change either by editing the transaction in the register in which you acquired the shares. As @Jon says, if the account is in Simple Tracking mode, I don't think there's any way you can modify what is being downloaded from the brokerage.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.