I can't transfer monies between savings accounts within Quicken

Options
Vince Drottar
Vince Drottar Member ✭✭

I added new savings accounts in addition to my existing accounts. I can't transfer monies from my existing accounts to my new accounts. Nor can I transfer monies between my new accounts?

I am using an iMac with Ventura 13.6 os.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Are you trying to record a transfer that you effectuated outside of Quicken, or are you trying to make the transfer happen in the real world by entering it in Quicken? If the latter, the only way that Quicken can cause a real-world transfer to happen is if the two accounts are at the same bank and that bank is connected via Direct Connect (and shows Intra-Bank Transfers with a green dot in the account settings).

If the former, please describe exactly what happens when you try to do this. Screenshots would be helpful. One hint: turn on the Transfer column (menu View > Columns) and enter the transfer-to account there rather than using the Transfer:[account] notation in the Category column.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Vince Drottar
    Vince Drottar Member ✭✭
    Options

I changed banks and added new savings accounts with the new bank in the transaction column. I want to transfer the monies from the old bank account (only in Quicken-not between banks) to the new corresponding savings accounts of the new bank. So when I transfer from old to new, the old accounts will show zero balance (hence closing the account).

I can transfer monies between one old account to another with no problem (always have), but not old to new. i.e. if I transfer $200 from one savings account and put it in another account, the account would be reduced by $200 and the account I sent it to would show adding $200. I can't even transfer from one new account to another new account?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Transferring money to the new accounts, or between the new accounts, should work just the same as it always has.

As RickO asked, please describe what happens when you try & fail to do this, with screen shots if you can.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Yes, please describe exactly how you are attempting to enter the transfer, what happens when that fails, and include screenshots.

What version of Quicken Mac are you using?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361#:~:text=How%20to%20take%20a%20screenshot,it%20to%20edit%20the%20screenshot.

You may redact any sensitive/personal info:

https://support.apple.com/guide/preview/annotate-an-image-prvw1501/mac#:~:text=In%20the%20Preview%20app%20on,or%20use%20the%20Touch%20Bar).&text=Use%20any%20of%20the%20following,Rectangular%20Selection

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Vince Drottar
    Vince Drottar Member ✭✭
    Options

I want to transfer $5,164 from Account #28 to 8872 All Purpose Account. When I do that Account #28 goes to zero, but 8872 All Purpose Account doesn't show the corresponding entry?

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Does the transfer appear in the register for account 8872? Is it only in the sidebar that the account balance for 8872 is incorrect, or is the balance incorrect in the register as well?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What is the category on the transaction? Can you post a screen shot of the whole transaction in account #28? Do you have the Transfer column turned on? Sounds like it's going to another category and not the Account #28.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Vince Drottar
    Vince Drottar Member ✭✭
    Options

It does't change in the register either

• Vince Drottar
    Vince Drottar Member ✭✭
    Options

volvogirl. what do you mean when you say "do you have the transfer column turned on"?

• Vince Drottar
    Vince Drottar Member ✭✭
    Options

Volvogirl was right. I didn't have the transfer box checked in the column icon. Problem solved. Thanks everyone!

This discussion has been closed.