Travis Credit Union & Quicken require text code

Options
slovey
slovey Member

I run win11 with latest quicken. Since Travis reconfigured their setup, every time Quicken wants to update I have to have a code text sent to me which I have to enter in Quicken. While this does work every time, it is a pain and is not a satisfactory way to update. I don't have to do this on any of my other financial institutions. What can be done about this issue!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

" ... every time Quicken wants to update I have to have a code text sent to me which I have to enter in Quicken."

What you're describing is called "two-factor authentication" (2FA): it's a security measure, and it's 100% controlled by the financial institution. 

"I don't have to do this on any of my other financial institutions."

As noted above, 2FA is completely controlled by the financial institution. 

They decide whether 2FA is required or not. They decide what entities (user manually logging on and/or software such as Quicken logging on) must be screened by 2FA ... and how often that screening will occur. They issue the "security code", they determine by what method the code can be returned (phone, text or email) and they determine whether the correct security code is returned.

For Quicken, two-factor authentication only applies to downloads that use the "Express Web Connect" (EWC) connection method (as Travis Credit Union does). Downloads that employ "Direct Connect" (DC) or "Express Web Connect+" (EWC+) are not subject to 2FA.

As long as you're downloading using EWC and your financial institution requires each every Quicken download to be subject to 2FA, there's really nothing you can do about it. You're welcome to contact your financial institution, but I think it highly unlikely they will change their 2FA policy.

[It's not uncommon for financial institutions to require Quicken EWC downloads to be screened by 2FA. Two examples: Every EWC download from Navy Federal Credit Union must pass 2FA. And back when Bank of America offered EWC downloads, every EWC download was required to respond to 2FA. There are posts in this Community that point to other financial institutions that require 2FA for every EWC download.]

Personally, I exclude any financial institutions that require 2FA from Quicken's One Step Update (OSU). That lets the OSU run to completion without interruption - then I use "Update now" to update the 2FA financial institutions.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.