Transfer amount only shows in one account

Options

so when i add a transfer from one account to my credit card the transfer amount only shows in one of the accounts. for example say i transfer $200 from the bank to card, the bank transfer is fine. then i go look at the card transfer and the transfer is there it just has no payment (the charge and payment fields are empty). here's the weird part if i try to fix it by manually entering the amount the bank transfer suddenly is now the empty one.

Quicken Classic for windows Version:R52.28

Best Answer

• DoomedFireUser
    DoomedFireUser Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

i fixed it. i was doing an initial setup so i only hade quicken installed for all of 2 hours by that point. i ended up deleting the credit account and setting up a new one without websync as i dont use it that much so manually entering transactions is not a problem. not sure what was happening but its working great now.

thanks for the info people

Answers

• k_man81
    k_man81 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure if this helps…but I have found that manually matching up downloaded transactions with transfers gets transfers all screwed up.

But, I haven't noticed the problem you're describing. As long as I manually enter in transfers, they seem to always show up correctly…

If you haven't for a while…might want to try re-validating your data file…?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How do you add this transfer transaction to your registers?
    Are you waiting for a transaction download from the bank checking account to add a new register transaction?
    Or are you recording the transfer by using either a correctly categorized memorized transaction or a scheduled reminder and you are doing so BEFORE your download from the bank or credit card contains transfer data?

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:
    For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.
    Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the download process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the download process should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts, without causing any problems.

• DoomedFireUser
    DoomedFireUser Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

i fixed it. i was doing an initial setup so i only hade quicken installed for all of 2 hours by that point. i ended up deleting the credit account and setting up a new one without websync as i dont use it that much so manually entering transactions is not a problem. not sure what was happening but its working great now.

thanks for the info people

• tmk40126
    tmk40126 Member
    Options

Post1:

I am attempting to "match" transfers from one bank account to another bank or credit card account and I have the following issues:

1. If… Edit>Transfers>Transfer Detection is set to “Automatically Create Transfers”,
      THEN all transfers show the account name of the sending account (the acct from which the transfer was funded) as the Category (in square brackets [ ]) in the sending accounts register AND… the recipient account (the acct to which the funds were transferred) shows the recipient account as the (transfer) Category - also in square brackets. Should be the other way around!! (Sending acct should have the recipient account in [ ] as the (transfer) category, AND the recipient account should have [sending account] as the (transfer) category.
    2. If… Edit>Transfers>Transfer Detection is set to “Confirm Possible Transfers Before Entering Into Register” then, after the “connected account” downloads, if Quicken finds a transaction it thinks is a transfer, it will ask if the two transactions (one in sending account entry and one in receiving account) are a “match” and if user confirms the match Quicken properly enters both sides of the transaction as a transfer, with the correct transfer categories. BUT… quicken only finds the first possible match – even though there are numerous other matches (transfers) between the connected accounts just downloaded.
    3. In addition, when I attempt to correct the now several hundred transfers (yuk!) between various accounts that have NOT been paired by Quicken (either ‘automatically” or by “manual confirmation” – depending on switch set in Preferences) - by correctly entering the transfer category on ONE side of the transaction (either entering the correct transfer category in the sending-side transaction or on the receiving account side) the OTHER side of the transaction does not automatically change to the correct transfer category. This means I have to manually change TWICE as many transactions (both sides of every transaction) (moans of agony…).

• tmk40126
    tmk40126 Member
    Options

Post2:

4. In addition, each transfer that still needs pairing much be painstakingly researched. (I must open BOTH accounts (sending and receiving) to confirm they should be matched (which requires vacating the two screens (sending and receiving) on which I need to enter the correct transfer categories). So many mouse clicks! So much typing! So many wasted hours of my time!!

5. Yes… I understand the counsel to enter transfers before connecting and downloading the respective accounts. This is no help for existing transactions! AND… Quicken, at the very least, in manual confirmation mode, should be smart enough to detect (ALL!) possible matches/transfers and ask for confirmation – NOT just the first potential transfer it detects after each account connection/download.

6. AND… there is no good reason (save poor programming), that Quicken is SO handicapped at matching transactions that it cannot even automatically detect (for auto-entry by Quicken OR manual confirmation by user) transfers between the two accounts at the same bank (where, unlike with credit card payments, the posting date for both sides of the transaction are the SAME)! No excuse there!

VERSION R52.33

• tmk40126
    tmk40126 Member
    Options

MORE…

7. In addition, If… Edit>Transfers>Transfer Detection is set to “Confirm Possible Transfers Before Entering Into Register”, transfers which are later manually paired (as below) show a red pencil icon - indicating they are NOT linked/paired!!??

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe trying your transfer matching in the All Transactions register filtered to show the accounts for both sides of the transfer would speed up the process. You can access the All Transactions register from the All Transactions link at the top of the Account Bar.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• tmk40126
    tmk40126 Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion MS! A good idea and a real time-saver (so simple!)

This discussion has been closed.