How to add stock of different currencies to the same investment account? [Edited]

Options
PaulC
PaulC Member ✭✭

Good Afternoon

Using the CDN version of Quicken. R52.28 - Build 27.1.52.28

I have an investment account with RBC that has both CDN and USD stocks in the same account. Example: Verizon (VZ) and Enbridge (ENB). How do I add stock of differnet currencies to the same investment account?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Q cannot do what you're asking. In Q, any given account can only be of a single currency.

SO, for your RBC holding, you'll need 2 accounts in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also have RBC accounts that hold securities in CAD and USD. The way that I track this in Quicken is that I have two Quicken investment accounts for the one RBC account. You cannot download from those RBC accounts, so there is really no compromise in setting up two Quicken accounts - one in CAD and one in USD - for the one dual currency RBC account. The monthly RBC statement breaks the account out into the two currencies like they were two accounts anyway, which makes this easy.

So, while NotACAP answered your question literally, the practical answer is that this is readily doable using two Quicken accounts and there really is no significant negative implication of using this approach. I've been doing this for many years with no issue.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Arctic Hare Didn't I say that "2 accounts in Q" would be needed? Which makes it "readily doable"

You expanded upon my reply … but that's all.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.