How do I add two monthly payments to the same payee? (Q Mac)

Options

I am using Quicken Classic Deluxe Version 7.3.2 on macOS 13.5.2. I recently migrated from Windows to Mac. When I was on Windows, I had Bills & Income set up, and there were two bills for the same payee each month. One was an ordinary bill; the other was a monthly loan payment with varying proportions of interest and principal each time. On Mac, I only see the ordinary bill. How do I get the loan payments back?

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

There's a couple different options, depending on how you have things set up.

If this is a loan that you have set up as a Debt account in Quicken, you can set up the payment from within the loan account. Select the loan in the sidebar then click "Edit Loan and Payment Terms" in the upper left of the loan window. Make sure everything looks correct on the Loan Details tab (particularly loan balance, interest rate, and payment date) then switch to the Bill Reminder tab. Select the account you want to pay the loan from. If you want the payment transaction to split out interest & principal select "Detailed Reminder", otherwise choose "Payment Total Only". Click Save. This payment will show up as a bill in Bills & Income and also as a reminder in the chosen account.

If you don't have this set up as a loan in Quicken (or if the existing "ordinary bill" is the one generated by the loan account), you can just create a second bill as a regular bill; you'll have to update the principal & interest amounts each month by hand if you want those split out. Select "Bills & Income" at the top of the window, then click the "New Bill" button. Fill out the transaction details, select Continue, select your payment date & frequency, and click Save.

This discussion has been closed.