What Happened to my Category?

Options
rrh770
rrh770 Member

At least one of my Categories is no longer displaying in the Category List when entering a transaction or in the Category List under Tools menu. The Category is "Clothing".

When I try to re-add the category "Clothing" into my Categories List, I get an error that says it is already in use.

I don't know if this has happened to other categories…but how do I resolve?

Here are other facts:

1. I see transactions that have the "Clothing" category still applied to transactions.
  2. I tried going into back-ups, but the Category List in those back-ups are also missing…despite the back-ups being made prior to the date on existing transactions with the "Clothing" category.
  3. I have run the Validate tool and it did not find any errors or fix anything related to Categories.

How do I either recover the category, or be able to re-add the category so it can be applied to new transactions.

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When looking at Tools / Category List, are you sure the list itself is showing you everything?
    Please verify that the items circled in red in this image show as indicated:

Show Full List. Search box cleared of text. All Categories is selected. Show hidden categories is selected. List is sorted by Category (column title shows the ^ triangle pointing up.)

Answers

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What happens if you create a new test data file? It probably has a default Clothing category. If not, create one. Can you add test transactions to that category?

• rrh770
    rrh770 Member
    Options

My question is not about the "Clothing" category specifically….it is more about "Where did it go?".

Again, Clothing does not display in the Tools⇒Category List, nor does it display when selecting Categories when entering a transaction.

If I try to re-add the Clothing Category via Tools⇒Category List, I get the error message "Duplicate category name. Try another name.". So Quicken seems to think the category is there in the data.

Since it is not displaying properly when I load my back ups…I am assuming it is not a data problem…but some issue causing it not to display when viewing or selecting categories.

At least I hope it is just a display problem……

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When looking at Tools / Category List, are you sure the list itself is showing you everything?
    Please verify that the items circled in red in this image show as indicated:

Show Full List. Search box cleared of text. All Categories is selected. Show hidden categories is selected. List is sorted by Category (column title shows the ^ triangle pointing up.)

• rrh770
    rrh770 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. Glad it was just user incompetence!

This discussion has been closed.