Date range on Investment Asset Allocation graph

Options
mhsherman461
mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Reports (Windows)

When I try to open an investment asset allocation graph, it does with "Quicken cannot process the select date range" But a) you don't need a date range for that graph and b) I have no chance to input one as it fails before any menu is open.

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am not seeing that problem. While I agree with you that a date range is not applicable, a singular date is required and all (?) reports prompt for a range even though only an end date is applicable.

What Quicken release are you using?

What is your setting for the default date selection (Edit / Preferences / Reports and Graphs)?

Same location, does checking the box for "Customizing report/graph before creating" give you any additional flexibility or access?

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am R52.33 (Windows)

Default Date range is "Year ago" to "Tomorrow"

I did check the "Customizing" box and that brought up a menu. The menu was using "earliest to date" —which for me is 1980. [You know Berkshire Hathaway has gone up a lot.]

Changing that to this week, made it come up as it should. Sounds like two bugs, but at least I know how to get around tit.

Thanks.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"Year ago" to "Tomorrow"? Where are you seeing those settings, or did you enter those dates explicitly??

And how are you accessing the Asset Allocation graph? Is this the report at Reports > Investing > Asset Allocation, or the Home Page, or someplace else?

QWin Premier subscription
  • mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options

When I go to Edit>Preferences>Reports and Graphs, Default date range is set to "custom" and then year ago to tomorrow in the entry. I can switch it to last 12 months, if that makes a difference.

I accessed the allocation graph first from the Portfolio, but tried it again from Reports > … which is how I have been doing for this thread.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

OK thanks! I had never seen those settings under Custom before.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So I am not real clear on your TWO bugs. Are they:

1. Something is causing the "Quicken cannot process the select date range" message.
    2. The default range is not being used? It is changing from your "Custom" to "Earliest to date".

Following comments reflect my R48.8 installation for investing reports.

1. I do not see a difference if I have the preference setting on or off for Customizing the report before creating. That seems to be a non-factor, although it is a work-around.
    2. Of the 10 reports, 5 default to the default date selections (when I had those as Custom with your setting, I assume for all such settings)
      1. Investment Activity defaults to Year to Date
      2. Asset Allocation, Portfolio Value, and Portfolio Value & Cost Basis default to Earliest to Date
      3. Maturity Dates for bonds defaults to "All" meaning all future dates and cannot be reset in any fashion

I did not at this time check other non-investment reports for those that might not use the specified default dates.

Of the investment reports that used the default dates, none objected to a future date being used as the end date. I had thought that might be a trigger for your error but it is not (for my version). Indeed, as I recall, I have frequently used Yearly for several reports which goes out to the end of the current year in many instances. So nothing to offer in that direction.

So for #1 above, it seems to be something recent or something in your data file.

For #2, it may be more pervasive than just this report as 3 other investment reports behave similarly. Is it by design? I doubt it but who knows.

If you want to chase this much further, I suggest creating some new small test file and seeing if the same type of error appears. Like one account with one mutual fund should do it.

• mhsherman461
    mhsherman461 Member ✭✭
    Options

It seems to me that one bug is that an asset allocation graph requires a date range at all. If it defaults to earliest to date, then maybe it is choking on the data.

I also don't understand why a date range should make a graph crash, but assuming it does, there should be a way to fix it.

If there are problematic entries for date ranges, that should be fixed or at least warned. Ditto if it chokes on too much data.

It seems a bug to choke on a data range, when no date range was entered in the first place and no option for fixing it is presented.

I am not really interested in chasing this down further, now that I have a workaround. If I volunteer my time to something, being a quicken software engineer is not on the top of the list.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.