One Step Update Summary does not show correct information?

Options
TJTex
TJTex Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have a problem with the One Step Update Summary not giving me the correct information making me search through the updates to see if it really worked. This occurs in the reporting of the updating of security prices. I have been slowly adding my investment accounts and securities to Quicken and have run into an issue where the OSU Update screen shows incorrect information for what it downloaded and tells me that it only updated 7 of 8 securities.

The problem is that this issue of not updating all the securities prices happened several days ago and since then the security of issue started correctly updating prices. Also I have added more securities so now I have 13 not 8. Here are a few screens to show the issue:

This is from an OSU I ran just a few minutes ago:

You can see that it says 7 of 8 quotes updated and I click the link for the report and I get:

This says that MMF4715 did not update. But when I check that security I find that it did update.

So there are two problems here. First one is that the OSU Summary did not correctly identify that it actually updated all 13 of my securities and the other issue is that it continually tells me that it did not update MMF4715.

What is the fix for this?

Running Quicken Classic Deluxe R52.28

Windows 11 Pro

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are a few levels or aspects to understand here.

1. You are using Quicken Canada. Most commenters will be using US Quicken. My comments will be from the US version. I don't have any reason to believe that makes a real difference, but it might.
    2. The security reported as not getting a price downloaded is known (reported for several years) to be inaccurate. It is not necessarily an inaccurate number (in your case, 7 of 8 probably did get downloaded prices and one missed) but the report ends up pointing to the wrong securities as missed quotes.
    3. Quotes get downloaded from both Quicken's third party data supplier and from your financial institutions. The 'count' (your 7 of 8) only applies to the third party supplier.
    4. That third party connection asks for prices of securities meeting three criteria:
      1. In your files security list, the security is checked to "Download Quotes"
      2. They have a valid ticker
      3. You either own shares of the security in a Quicken account OR you have the security in your "Watch List"

That point number 4 should define the 8 securities that Quicken attempted to get from their data supplier. If you got updated prices for 13 securities, your financial institution is likely involved.

(US comment) The quotes from the data supplier typically include Close, Hi, Lo and Volume. For a mutual fund, the closing NAV price would apply for Close, Hi, and Lo and Volume would be 0 as your example show. Quotes from the financial institution only include the closing price.

Hope this helps.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for responding to this query. What I gather from your response is that Quicken is flakey when it comes to the OSU Report. In all the years of using Quicken I have never seen it this bad. I moved back to Canada from the US after living in the US for 23 years. I used Quicken before moving to the US and I used Quicken while I was living there and I still have the US version of Quicken on one of my computers that is still in storage. I have never seen this kind of behavior before on any version of Quicken. Now that I am back in Canada I need to get this version up and running.

I was confused as to why it would state that 7 of 8 securities were updated when it updated the prices of all 12 of my securities (sorry I stated 13 in my original post). So why 8 instead of 12 and also why did it keep complaining about MMF4715 that it clearly updated along with all my other securities?

Also, you sated that "Quotes get downloaded from both Quicken's third party data supplier and from your financial institutions." and "That point number 4 should define the 8 securities that Quicken attempted to get from their data supplier. If you got updated prices for 13 securities, your financial institution is likely involved." Well in my case the only place to get the quotes is from Quicken's third party data supplier because my financial institution does not support Quicken.

As to your Item 4 above:

1. In your files security list, the security is checked to "Download Quotes" —— In all cases I have Download Quotes checked
    2. They have a valid ticker ——- The Ticker is derived from the 'Add security' window popup in the securities List when you click the 'Add Security' button.
    3. You either own shares of the security in a Quicken account OR you have the security in your "Watch List" ——- In all cases I have 'Watch List' checked.

Just to reiterate that maybe Quicken is just flakey with all of this. After posting my question I continued to work on setting up my accounts and added one more security that is not listed anywhere except in the Globe & Mail so of course the prices can not be downloaded from any source. I now have 13 securities, 12 that can be updated and 1 that can not be updated except by hand or from a .csv file. I then run a OSU and I now get this:

This is what I was expecting to get. Now it is showing the correct number of securities.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only flaky part of the One-Step Update Summary that I know of is how it points to the wrong security when the 'See a report' link is clicked. It has been flaky that way for years, maybe 10 or more. I believe the count shown has consistently been correct.

I will add I currently get "141 of 142 quotes and investing headlines updated". I have not been able to identify the one not getting updated, though I have tried. It is not the security Quicken says it is. As I buy or sell securities, those counts go up or down but remain differing by one. When the counts do differ by more than one, I have been able to track the problem typically to a security (like a bond) for which the Download Quotes box should not be checked.

I have no insight as to why you were getting the 7 of 8 when you should have been getting the 12 of 13. If you uncheck the Download QUotes for that 13th private security, I'd expect you to get a 12 of 12.

• TJTex
    TJTex Member ✭✭
    Options

I can see where it would be difficult trying to identify which security of 142 did not update. Having only 12 makes it easier. So I added 4 more securities (and unchecked the Download Quotes for the BMO88266) and I now get a report that shows 16 updated. I have no idea why I checked the Download Quotes for that Mutual Fund, because I knew that quotes for that MF would not be available. But I found one more curious thing. When I set up a security I also run the Update Historical Prices from the Investing tab. When I look through the list of securities to update the Historical Prices, it has all my securities listed for update including the BMO88266. I have to uncheck that security every time I run Update Historical Prices or I get the update error in the summary.

This discussion has been closed.