Initial Split Window filling

Options

Once one creates a split, each time that appears for a new transaction, it contains the old transaction details. It has nothing to do with the current amount of the transaction, and so you have to enter zeros often to clear old values.

What would be ideal would be to open the split with the first line item filled with the transaction amount, and zero out the rest. For me, the line items after the main line item aren't used as often. For example, I have groceries as the main line item, with liquor as the second. Most times there is no liquor purchase, but it's filled in, and it takes time to enter the transaction's real amount and then 0 the liquor. Worse when you have many line items. Colossal waste of time.

TIA

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just create an entry in the Memorized Payee List for this Payee by memorizing an existing register entry. (Click the register entry and press CTRL-M)
    Go into the Memorized Payee List, locate the entry and edit it.
    Define it as $0.00 total amount, go into the Split dialog and edit all split amounts to $0.00
    Mark the box at "Lock and leave this entry …" with a checkmark.
    If there's a checkmark at "Mark as cleared", click it to remove it.
    Save this entry.

If the Memorized Payee List has additional entries for this payee, delete them to leave only the entry you just created

You now have a clean, $0.00 amount "model entry" for this payee which you can use for future new transactions.

When creating a new transaction for this payee in the register's new transaction entry line, begin typing the payee name. Select the above entry from the selection list popup.
    Fill out the fields, type in the total transaction amount. Go into the Split dialog and fill out the amounts for the individual Split lines.
    Save the transaction.
    Done.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What kind of transaction are you splitting that would have several lines? If it's a credit card payment like in your checking account there is a better way to do it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.