Deposits are debits, not credits

Options
HarrisHouse
HarrisHouse Member

I have used Quicken since 2009 and the installed software that I had worked perfectly. This summer I purchased a Windows 11 Laptop that would not support my version of Quicken. Now when I enter a deposit (DEP), Quicken enters it as a debit, not a credit. Using the + before the entering it makes no difference. I cannot add another column to the register to fix this problem because it would require fixing transactions for the last 24 years. I will be looking for more user-friendly software. This is so frustrating!

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does the register use the 2 columns? Or just the single amount column? There are actually 3 columns...Payments, Deposit (or Charges & Payments) and Amount and then the Balance column. Don't use the single Amount column. Delete that column and just use the other 2 columns. . Click on the Gear Icon right above the balance column, click on Register Columns and uncheck the "Amount" Column (1st one) and make sure the Deposit and Payment columns are checked. Payments is at the very bottom of the list. What is the problem with adding another column? If you add the payment and deposit columns you won't have to fix any prior transactions.

Is it actually entering the amount in the wrong column or is it the balance going the wrong way?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what do you mean that Win11 would …

not support my version of Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• HarrisHouse
    Options

The Quicken version I had installed on my old desktop was 2007.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

If new computer - how did you reinstall Quicken 2007 ?
    Or … did you install the latest version of Quicken ?
    … Help —> About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• HarrisHouse
    Options

I have the subscription now.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW, are you talking about balance issues while working with credit card accounts?
    If you owe money to the credit card company, the Running Balance in your account register, if sorted correctly by Date, should be a negative amount, shown in red.
    If you show a black (positive) Balance amount, you're either overpaid and running a credit balance or you have some discrepancies in your register, e.g., duplicate or missing transactions. It's also possible that your account's Opening Balance transaction is incorrect, for some reason. Reconcile your account register to find and resolve the discrepancies.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

for future reference - it always helps to share with everyone - what actions you did and the result -
    Using Quicken 2007 since 2009 (?) -
    You never mentioned that you paid for, downloaded, and installed (?) latest version of Quicken - on your new Win11 computer.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.