How come when I fix placeholder transactions cash doesn't update?

Options
dprud65
dprud65 Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in Investing (Windows)

When I fix my placeholders, there is no option to pull the purchase from cash of the same brokerage account. I have even tried to delete and re-add as a new purchase, but it still doesn't allow me to deduct from the cash account. I have looked over the community pages and every post I could find with this same question is marked closed without an answer. Using Quicken Classic Deluxe current version

Best Answer

• dprud65
    dprud65 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

***FIGURED IT OUT***

It's the security that drives it. To work around use FDIC interest deposit, enter all info and save. Edit transaction to reflect correct security and it works. Sounds like a bug to me - but what do I know?

Answers

• dprud65
    dprud65 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

***FIGURED IT OUT***

It's the security that drives it. To work around use FDIC interest deposit, enter all info and save. Edit transaction to reflect correct security and it works. Sounds like a bug to me - but what do I know?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have found an odd "feature" of Placeholders. They prevent new transactions like Div, Bought and Sold prior to the security’s Placeholder date from affecting the account’s cash balance. They do this by creating a linked Cash Balance Adjustment just before the affected transaction. Deleting one of these will delete them both. This shows up as N/A in the Cash Amt column of the transaction list. To allow the cash balance to change when entering missing transactions that affect the cash balance, you must first delete all the Placeholders for this security that have later dates than the transaction you are entering.

Always back up your data file before changing historical transactions.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.