American Express - Banking: New Savings account asks for security code every day during OSU

Options
UKR
UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• I have a new American Express Savings account, connected to American Express - Banking for downloading with One Step Update.

Every day, when I run OSU, I receive this security code message:

There's no problem receiving a text message to my cellphone and entering the code, but …
Why do I have to do that every day?
Doesn't AmEx know who's calling?
Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a way to eliminate this prompt from OSU?

And while I'm commenting about it … somebody please fix that typo in the message text!

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @UKR,

You might need to call/navigate to the American Express Website and enable third-party access (or something to that extent). One common cause of repeated 2FAs is that there is never an actual connection settled with the bank's servers causing every download to trigger as if it were a new account.

Also, I will pass on the information regarding the typo.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I think I found the problem.
    On the AmEx website, when switching from your credit cards to the new Savings account, there's a Useful Link to Manage Savings Account Settings. This again brings you to a webpage with Authentication Management.

If your new account setup is incomplete (which it appears mine was), you need to answer a few questions.
    One of them is about entering a Security Code. At first, this had me stymied, because some helpful code in my browser pre-filled this field with my AmEx password … which is incorrect. They're asking for a different kind of "security code", a secret number or PIN only you know … 6 - 9 digits only. OK, so I replaced the security code with my own magic number and finished the Q&A.
    Running another OSU after that … surprise … no more security question from AmEx - Banking.

Let's see if this holds for tomorrow's OSU and future days.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, @Quicken Jasmine !

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

@UKR,

Awesome, I am glad to hear that it was an easy (for the most part) fix.

Please let us know if the issue returns!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.