Can Not Delete the "Rental Property Expenses" group

Options

I want to delete the "Rental Property Expenses" group from the group list but the last category will not let me delete it. It will also not let me merge with another category, when i right click on it, all i see is "Merge", "Hide" or "New Category". I have even tried creating new bogus categories to merge it to then was going to delete the new merged category but this failed. How do i get rid of this category and delete the Rental Property Expenses group? I have no use for the rental groups at this time and want it off the group list to avoid future mis-categorizing mistakes.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would this category be "_MileageRental"?
    If so, like all other categories beginning with an _underscore, it is required for a Quicken function, in this case the Mileage Tracker, some reports and the Tax Planner, to operate properly.
    Other than hiding the category, there's nothing I know of that you can do, I'm afraid.

• magellon
    magellon Member
    Options

No underscore, the category is "Not Sure, Rental" in Schedule E Expenses. I can hide it but that's about all. thanks for your help.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A category which has a transaction assigned to it cannot be deleted either until the transaction has been recategorized first.
    In my data file, this unused category shows as deletable.

In the Tools / Category List click the gear icon in the upper right hand corner and add the column "Usage" to the list. This shows how many transactions exist in your data file using each category.
    If the Usage number is greater than 0, click the number to drill down to details.

• magellon
    magellon Member
    Options

Correct. The Usage column shows "0". I have no entries for this category. Looking at the Business Expenses categories i found a "Not Sure, Biz" Category, it also can not be deleted, it has no "edit" button when i right click on it. Seems this is by design from Quicken so looks like I can not deleted it. Thanks for you help.

This discussion has been closed.