Corrupted Expense Account Files with 5-hex-digit names - what are they, and fixable?

Options
wsalomon
wsalomon Member ✭✭

Current version R52.33 for Windows

I am trying to export an Investment Register to find account errors since the Account's inception (2017).

I know one Investment account out of 4 current accounts. (There are more accounts inactive for years both Investment and Banking.

I have run Validate & Repair every month or so. When I realized there were problems, I took a closer look a log and found that every other time I ran Validate, I came up with and error like:

[Thu Nov 09 16:52:07 2023]

File: "C:\Users\w\Documents\Quicken\W_2023-09-09_2"

QDF:
Validating your data.
Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_1460c" 0/ 0/1900
Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
"ACCT_1460c" 0/ 0/1900

Summary:
Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.

[Thu Nov 09 17:09:10 2023]

File: "C:\Users\w\Documents\Quicken\W_2023-09-09_2"

QDF:
Validating your data.
Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_1460d" 0/ 0/1900
Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
"ACCT_1460d" 0/ 0/1900

Summary:
Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.

I looked through all accounts in Tools -> Account List (including Hidden) and found neither of these.

Elswhere, I ran across the accounts in the Screenshot. I can't remember how these popped up.

In trying to debug this i went through back-ups from maybe 8 months ago, and found maybew half this number.

I can say every month or so I have had a sudden unplanned shutdown (battery fell out whil on battery only), and from the same Broker/IRA Fiduciary a number of line disconnects and crashes.

At the present time, the QDF file is about 240MB, was started in 2000 (I think).

My questions:

1. What are these "Accounts" - given that they are 5-hex-digit names (starting with 142f8, I assume the names were/are "system-assigned"?
  2. All "dates" of " 0/ 01/1900" _ certainly didn't create then - what did?
  3. They all are "Expense" accounts, but have no Transactions - do/did they have corrupted Transactions that end up in "blind rows" that are "invisible"... somewhere?
  4. If they are "blind rows", can they programmatically be deleted?
  5. If these "Accounts" "exist", can they be deleted by a mechanism other than by Files->Account List? (By command line or a hidden interface?)
  6. Are they harmful, and how and when did they get there in the first place?
  7. There a copy mechanis m (perhaps by command line or hidden interface) to copy all valid accounts and other data) with the exception of these?

I know that underlying database is SQLlite. Is this a known instablility in the database, a result of not robustly enforcing key, entity integrity and referential integrity constraints? (Like relying on Stored Procedures to do the "work" instead of programmed constraints?)

Thanks!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

These are remnants from a bug in Quicken quite a few years ago.
    During transaction download, Quicken used to create temporary accounts, ACCT_xxxx or TEMP_xxxx. When OSU completed, these accounts would be deleted, but only if no problems occurred during download.

A Validate and Supervalidate should either delete these accounts from the file or make it so that you can delete them yourself, either from the Account List or from the Category List.

This discussion has been closed.