Split Transactions changed to a single category

Dustin1047
Dustin1047 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Hi: I'm using R52.33 Build 27.152.33

I think this problem started when Quicken renewed my subscription on 6 November. They automatically renewed it, then canceled it. So I had to go renew it manually online.

THEN, all the split transactions in my Chase business account have been changed to one (wrong) category. What the heck is that about? In my Costco credit card account (pretty much the only other that I use splits), nothing has changed, the splits remain.

WHY would Quicken just remove years of this data? Is there any remedy here? I already disabled mobile/web updates as other posts suggested.

Is there a way to get that data back without losing everything we've entered since then?

Thanks so much! -Dustin

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much your only option is to restore a backup taken before the data was lost. Note, though, that restoring a backup forces a cloud sync even if you have cloud sync disabled. So best to copy a backup to a new file name, remove -backup from the file extension, then open the renamed file.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Dustin1047

Thank you! This happened a month ago. I have backups that old, but then I stand to lose everything entered since. Is there a way to merge an older backup with everything that has been entered since that time into the live file?

• CeCe
    CeCe Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

This is happening to me as well and I don't think it has anything to do with my subscription. For me, it is happening in my bank account on a transaction I enter weekly and is split into 3 categories. All of the splits are gone and the "category" has now defaulted back to the same account in brackets (i.e., [Same Bank Account as Transaction]). I verified this by confirming that every single transaction for well over a year has been changed and all of the splits are gone. I am also wondering how to fix this.

I have attempted to restore a backup file from 3 weeks ago but every time I restore the backup file, there is a pop up that Quicken asks if you want to overwrite the existing file with the back up file OR just look at the backup for now. At first, I choose just look so that I could confirm all of the data was there. Then, I closed the file, reopened the most recent file and then attempted to restore a backup from there again but this time choosing "overwrite existing file" (since I was sure this has the data I am looking for). Unfortunately, Quicken keeps crashing during the overwrite.

I have also attempted to do as the person above says by copying the backup file that I am certain has the right data, and then renaming it so you can open that file. I open it fine, the data is there, but when I run the One Step update, it crashes. No matter what I do, to the old file or the recent file, it crashes. I am at a loss….. So many years of data, possibly gone.

• Dustin1047

Yes. This is happening to me too, CeCe. I hope someone has an answer. I have seen on another thread, that there is possibly a way to restore a backup from before the problem and then somehow merge it with a recent backup. That is the only answer for me because this problem first presented itself a month ago and I couldn't just stop my financial life while Quicken fixed their buggy software. This should be on Intuit to provide someone to walk us through the fix, or better yet, connect and drive my machine while I watch and solve the problem and do the fix. I did not create this problem.

This discussion has been closed.