PNC will not download checking and savings transactions

Options
rdclawn
rdclawn Member ✭✭✭

What can I do to fix this issue?
PNC checking and savings have not downloaded transactions for the past two or three days. About 11/14/2023. I get no error statements.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@rdclawn - Am I correct in assuming that you meant to type "I do not see the line you show in yellow" instead of "I do see the line you show in yellow"?

If my assumption is correct, then your connection to PNC is either broken or there is some sort of corruption in your runtime.dat file.

Go to Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab: Backup your data file before proceeding.

1. If it shows that the account is still set up for downloads with EWC+: Click on Reset Account. You will likely be taken to the PNC website where you will need to log into it and reauthorize PNC to download into Quicken. If Quicken then prompts you to decide what to do with the downloads (should be for both accounts), be sure the Link them to the existing accounts already in Quicken.
    2. If it shows that the account is still set up for downloads with EWC+ but Reset Account did not resolve the issue: Click on Deactivate. Do the same for the other PNC account. Then click on Setup Now. Quicken should then take you through the reauthorization process noted in #1.
    3. If neither account shows they are set up for downloads: Click on Setup Now and complete the reauthorization process.

I suspect that Reset Account will resolve the issue for you. But if none of these steps resolves the issue, then it is possible that the runtime.dat file is corrupted. Fixing it is not a big issue but depending on how many different accounts you have it might take a bit of time to complete it. You can view the steps for fixing a corrupted runtime.dat file at the following link (scroll up to my April 1 post in that thread): Time date stamp [of last account update].

Let me know if any of these steps resolved the issue for you.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is a good indication that there is a runtime.dat file corruption at play here. When it is corrupted it might initially include just one financial institution, one type of connection method or some combination of them all. Sometimes the accounts will update during OSU but Quicken will not show that they were updated and you will only know that the updates were successful because new transactions were downloaded or the online balance was updated. But rest assured that runtime.dat file corruption does not heal itself and it often can/will get progressively worse until no financial institutions update during OSU or Update Now.

Sometimes, doing Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate can get downloads to resume, again, even though the last download date/time and connection method do not show in the Account Register view. But these are band-aids and not fixes and the download issues will occur at some time, again. In addition, the corruption is likely to eventually "spread" to other financial institutions.

The only way I know of to actually fix a corruption of the runtime.dat file is to delete that file and let Quicken create a new one. As mentioned in my earlier post, the process (Time date stamp [of last account update]) is not difficult and there is no risk to the Quicken data file but it can take a little time to complete, especially if you have a lot of connected accounts.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I have not been having any issues downloading from PNC into my checking and savings accounts….transactions downloaded both yesterday and today.

In the Account Registers, what do you see for the last date and time of the last download and what is the connection method (Express Web Connect+ or Direct Connect)? You should see something like what is shaded in yellow in this picture.:

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response.
    Unfortunately, I do see the line you show in yellow. I assume it is in a setting somewhere??
    Even so, my last download appears to have been on the 14th or 15th in my savings and checking accounts. They all have EWC+ connections.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

@rdclawn - Am I correct in assuming that you meant to type "I do not see the line you show in yellow" instead of "I do see the line you show in yellow"?

If my assumption is correct, then your connection to PNC is either broken or there is some sort of corruption in your runtime.dat file.

Go to Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab: Backup your data file before proceeding.

1. If it shows that the account is still set up for downloads with EWC+: Click on Reset Account. You will likely be taken to the PNC website where you will need to log into it and reauthorize PNC to download into Quicken. If Quicken then prompts you to decide what to do with the downloads (should be for both accounts), be sure the Link them to the existing accounts already in Quicken.
    2. If it shows that the account is still set up for downloads with EWC+ but Reset Account did not resolve the issue: Click on Deactivate. Do the same for the other PNC account. Then click on Setup Now. Quicken should then take you through the reauthorization process noted in #1.
    3. If neither account shows they are set up for downloads: Click on Setup Now and complete the reauthorization process.

I suspect that Reset Account will resolve the issue for you. But if none of these steps resolves the issue, then it is possible that the runtime.dat file is corrupted. Fixing it is not a big issue but depending on how many different accounts you have it might take a bit of time to complete it. You can view the steps for fixing a corrupted runtime.dat file at the following link (scroll up to my April 1 post in that thread): Time date stamp [of last account update].

Let me know if any of these steps resolved the issue for you.

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I got the PNC accounts to download by deactivating and set up as you suggested. However, still, no display of dates last updated. Thanks for your help.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm glad that you got transactions to download, again. But I am concerned that you are not seeing the display of the last download and connection method. That is a pretty strong indication that perhaps your runtime.dat file is corrupted and is what caused your download issue to begin with.

Having a corrupted runtime.dat file is not something that is going to cause data corruption but it is likely that at sometime in the future you will encounter a download issue, again, if not with the PNC accounts then with some other account(s). So I think it might be a good idea to fix the runtime.dat file at some time.

What you might want to do is to bookmark this thread as shown in the example in the following picture. That will then add a link to this thread in the My Bookmarks menu under Quick Links toward the top right of this screen view.:

When you find some time or if you start to encounter download issues, again, you can then go to My Bookmarks and click on that link to see this thread, again. Then you will have the link available to walk you through the process of fixing the runtime.dat file.

In the meantime, go ahead and continue to run OSU to download transactions. Hopefully you will be able to download transactions without issue for a long time.

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you. For some reason, I cannot find the runtime.dat file. I always run the OSU to download transactions. I will continue. I will bookmark.

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This morning I found that all accounts with express web provided a download date while accounts that used EWC+ did not provide a download date.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps a more concise place to see all download dates and activity is the Account List available from the Tools menu. Assuming the dates are missing for EWC+ accounts as well, what happens when you go to one of these EWC+ accounts and select ⚙️> Update Now on the upper right of the register?

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

For me, it is located in "C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\(Quicken data file name)\runtime.dat". If you cannot find it there, do a Windows Explorer search for runtime.dat. Include subfolders in the search.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is a good indication that there is a runtime.dat file corruption at play here. When it is corrupted it might initially include just one financial institution, one type of connection method or some combination of them all. Sometimes the accounts will update during OSU but Quicken will not show that they were updated and you will only know that the updates were successful because new transactions were downloaded or the online balance was updated. But rest assured that runtime.dat file corruption does not heal itself and it often can/will get progressively worse until no financial institutions update during OSU or Update Now.

Sometimes, doing Reset Account or Deactivate/Reactivate can get downloads to resume, again, even though the last download date/time and connection method do not show in the Account Register view. But these are band-aids and not fixes and the download issues will occur at some time, again. In addition, the corruption is likely to eventually "spread" to other financial institutions.

The only way I know of to actually fix a corruption of the runtime.dat file is to delete that file and let Quicken create a new one. As mentioned in my earlier post, the process (Time date stamp [of last account update]) is not difficult and there is no risk to the Quicken data file but it can take a little time to complete, especially if you have a lot of connected accounts.

• rdclawn
    rdclawn Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you, Thank you. I finally found the runtime.dat file. I was able to delete it. Ran the OSU and I have the updates all appearing. Thank you again, I am sure this information will be useful in the future. :)

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You are welcome. Good to hear that it has resolved the issue for you.

This discussion has been closed.