Want to add BoA account but not import tons of historical transactions

Options
bobciulla
bobciulla Member

I want to add my BoA account into an existing Quicken Classic Windows app. We have been doing manual reconciling for the last few years and don't want to import any data from our BoA account but do want to do online Reconciling from now on.

I can't figure out how to add BoA account without Quicken pulling down the 3000 or so transactions BoA is providing.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So, just add the BofA account as being Offline.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bobciulla
    Options

thanks for the info. But if the account is off line how do I used it for reconciliation/clearing checks

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You do the reconciling and record cleared checks manually.

You can't have an account that doesn't download but expect the reconciliation and clearing to be automated.

• bobciulla
    Options

I guess I mean to say I want to be able to give the account a date to start downloading info. Like add account today and only download data from 11/13/23 and onwards

If I just add the account quicken downloads all old info +3000 items

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For a new, to Q, account only the last 90 days or so will be downloaded.

But you can always take a backup before you add the account just in case things aren't to your satisfaction.

OR, are you saying that you have 3000 transactions over the last 90 days? OR that BofA is downloading the entire history of the account, which is 3000 txn?

• bobciulla
    Options

yes. BoA is downloading all transactions. Dating back to idk. 2018! Lol that’s why I wonder if quicken and just “ask” for a certain range.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

well - sometimes it says it is downloading, but actually doesn't -

If you want to try - take a backup and make sure all your existing transactions have been [R] reconciled.
    Do the Add Account and let it run.
    You should then be able to sort the account by the [C/R] flag - and just delete most all of the older [C] entries -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

There is an alternative workaround to do what you ask in addition to what has already been suggested.

Uncheck/Disable "Automatically add to banking registers" in Preferences > Downloaded transactions

Then add BofA. The X number of transactions will still download, but not in the register, rather in the "Downloaded Transactions" pane at the bottom of the screen. Then you can Accept or Delete the transactions as you please. And adjust your opening balance accordingly.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.