ETrade Brokerage not updating and extra accounts I didn't want in the file got added

Options
System
System Member admin

This discussion was created from comments split from:

E*TRADE Update Error OL-295 (WINDOWS)

Comments

• James J
    James J Member ✭✭✭
    Options

First problem - Etade bank account X0764 (fake number, but it's just one checking account I have associated with this Quicken file) would not update, so I reactivated the online service and Quicken automatically added ALL my Etrade accounts to the Quicken file I happened to have open. Quikcen did this without asking me.

Second problem - I also have a brokerage account associated with this same Quicken file and it is not updating at all. Quicken asks for my Etrade password, I give it, and Quicken tells me the password doesn't work. In fact it does work because i just logged onto the Etrade site with the very same UserID and password Quicken was trying to use to get to the account.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

" ... I reactivated the online service and Quicken automatically added ALL
    my Etrade accounts to the Quicken file ....".

I've never known Quicken to "automatically" add any account to Quicken - but
    perhaps that's because I never "reactivate" a Quicken account: I use the
    Quicken "Add Account" process instead. 

The Quicken Add Account process presents me with all the accounts it
    discovered, and offers me these choices: "Add to Quicken", "Link to existing
    account", "Don't add to Quicken".

When I'm "reactivating" an account, I choose "Link to existing account" (and
    I make absolutely certain that Quicken links to the correct existing account
    - too often Quicken chooses the wrong account and I have to correct
    Quicken's choice).

When I don't want the account downloaded at all, I choose "Do not
    download".

" ... [the user-id/password] does work because i just logged onto the Etrade site with the very same UserID and password Quicken was trying to use to get to the account".

The user-id/password used to logon to the financial institution web site is not necessarily the user-id/password used to download Quicken transactions.

Further; based on the information available to me (my fidir.txt file),  it appears that Etrade uses different Quicken financial institution names for bank account downloads and investment account downloads. 

And fidir.txt shows that the Etrade Quicken financial institution name for investment account downloads (E*TRADE Advisor Services) only offers the "Web Connect" connection method. 

Web Connect requires the user to logon to the financial institution web site and initiate the download from there - Web Connect is not available for One Step Updates.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.