Black Friday sale on renewal codes at Newegg

Options
Jon
Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Newegg is having a Black Friday sale on subscription renewal codes - $30.99 for Deluxe with a promo code, $44.99 for Premier.

https://www.newegg.com/quicken-classic-deluxe-1-year-subscription/p/N82E16832624019

Remember you have to have less than 6 months remaining on your subscription to use a renewal code, and they have an expiration date so it's risky to buy them in advance and sit on them. Also, these are not the codes for new subscribers - those are not on sale.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Does Quicken actually differentiate between renewal codes and new subscriber codes?

Also, historically, Quicken codes have typically had up to 2 years before expiring, at least for new subscriber codes.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Does Quicken actually differentiate between renewal codes and new subscriber codes?

In fact, it has neither. They have always called them "activation codes". But to the point, no there isn't a difference between "new subscribers" and exist users. The only difference has been in the deals offered.

EDIT: I take it back there is a difference. That is that an existing user can't associate their Quicken Id with a "new user" activation code. But the oppose wouldn't be true. A new user could certainly use the "existing user" activation code.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jon Thanks for the heads up, my subscription expires January 17th so this something I have been look out for.

So far Amazon hasn't dropped their price, Costco does even have it. Office Depot has dropped the prices, but not as much as Newegg ($35.99 Deluxe and $50.39 Premier). Stapples has the same prices as Office Depot.

Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The question is, does Quicken actually have different activation codes for new vs renewals? I was under the impression that the difference is not in the code but in the status of the QID. If the account, hence the QID, is not new, then the code will only grant a renewal rate/promo rate, and not grant a new user promo rate.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yes, the activation codes have to be different between "new user" and "renewal/existing user". Well, let's analyze this.

If the new user promotion is on Quicken.com then basically they can "change the price" when the user tries to make the purchase with an Quicken Id that is already connected to a subscription. So, that part is covered, but it isn't using and activation code. The subscription is "activated" directly without entering any code. EDIT: Since you might not have ever purchased Quicken from their website, I will let you know that you can't purchase it without associating it with a Quicken Id, and that Quicken Id is the one that is going to have the active subscription, it can't be "pushed to another Quicken Id".

On the other hand, I go to some retailer and buy a new user activation code (even if you get a CD all you really need is the activation code). At that point there isn't any way to tell if I'm "new user" opposed to existing, but I have already paid the new user price. Now I go to use that activation code. If it is a "new user" activation code Quicken will block you from activating/renewing with an existing Quicken Id connected to a subscription. I know that for a fact because of hitting this with the "free Starter with TurboTax offer" which will only allow activation with a Quicken Id not currently associated with a subscription (not to mention all the complaints of people that bought "new user" and couldn't activate/renew their existing subscription).

If I bought the "non-new user" activation code by definition it has to work as a renewal for an existing Quicken Id connection to a subscription.

So, clearly there are two sets of activation codes, new user and existing user/renewal.

The only question left is if one bought the "existing user/renewal" activation code can they use it with a Quicken Id that wasn't previously connected to a subscription?

I'm about 99.99% sure that you can't use this with a new Quicken Id. Quicken Inc is more interested in blocking existing users renewing at a reduced price meant for new users (grow business) than anything else as far as I can see.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.